From Protector To Lady Chapter 31

"I cannot say for certain but I believe the first doctor was hasty in his diagnosis. He seems to have good reflexes in both of his legs," Dr. Watson said as he took a small tool and tapped it on Todd's knees. The little boy giggled every time his leg kicked out in response. "Either that or he has made quite the recovery, if it was first assumed he would never gain strength back in his lower extremities."

"Do you think he will be able to walk again?" My mother asked, her hand on Todd's back, standing beside him in his wheeled-chair.

My family has only been here for three days and already we decided to bring the doctor in Tarantsmo to visit. My family, Stanton, the doctor and I all sat in my family's new living room.

"I cannot make promises but I feel optimistic from my assessment today. I would suggest you buy him a walking assistance device – we have them at my office, you may pick one up there. I highly recommend that you do therapy every day. First just help him stand and work his legs with your hands, slowly introduce him to walking. It will take time for him to regain the strength he needs but he is young, I am hopeful, I will visit again in a few weeks time," the doctor said as he put all of his tools back in his black carrying case.

"Thank you so very much, we will do all that we can to help him recover," my father said as he shook the doctor's hand.

Todd was smiling ear to ear as the door closed behind the doctor.

"I told you I was feeling better mama, I told you!" he said as he looked at his feet, toes wiggling.

"I can do this again!"

My mother only smiled wistfully as she walked up to Stanton and I,

"What have you planned for the day?"

"I was hoping we could visit the orphanage again today – if Stanton wishes to as well," I said before turning my head to face him. I couldn't get little Thomas out of my mind since Todd had been here. They were so alike and Thomas was so alone.

"Oh, there is an orphanage – perhaps we could come as well? I think some fresh air would do us all some good and it is a beautiful day," my mother said as she motioned to my father and Todd. Todd affirmed with a thumbs up.

In moments we were outside in the warm sun, walking along the cobble streets to the orphanage. I was surprised my mother wanted to come with – she always became so upset with the circumstances of the children and not being able to help ate away at her.

The orphanage was on the other side of Tarantsmo so it was a lengthy walk but a pleasant one. Todd would often wheel ahead of us, weaving left and right, smiling and waving at the townsfolk. He seemed so carefree, not even affected by the chair he was bound to.

"He seems well," Stanton mentioned offhandedly as he watched the young boy.

"He is, his spirits have been exceptionally high since we arrived here, he is not having any problem adjusting," my father replied as he watched Todd lovingly.

We entered Helen's Henhouse and my mother and father both introduced themselves to Helen. All of the children seemed to stop for a moment and look at Todd's chair. A couple children came up to him and began asking a ton of questions, all of which Todd answered excitedly.

Stanton and I took a seat on a small loveseat that was positioned in the main living room of the orphanage.

"Becca!" I heard a familiar little voice squeal as I saw a small chesnut head come bobbing towards us.

"Hi Thomas," Stanton smiled as the little boy tried to climb up onto the loveseat. Stanton lifted him up and positioned him on his lap.

"Hi!" the little boy squealed happily and pinched Stanton's cheek.