From Protector To Lady Chapter 12

"You really have been struggling something great, haven't you?" Stanton asked me as we continued our travels to Cael.

"Yes, I have. I have just a small family. It is my mother, father, my brother, and I. My uncle I never considered family, though his daughter is my closest friend. I did not know any grandparents, or aunts or uncles," I explained.

"I am sorry to hear that."

"It is all I have known, so I am not saddened by it. But hearing the news of my brother terrifies me. I have done all that I have for him, so he would not have to struggle as I did while I matured," I said, my mind going back to all the times I had gone hungry.

"You had a large burden on your shoulders, I can see that. You need not worry, what is meant to be, always is," he said as he looked at me, his words holding something I could not understand.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that there are reasons behind everything that happens. It may be hard to believe now, but I do think it is true," he spoke strongly, turning his head so he was facing forward again.

"I suppose I never looked at things that way," I said before sinking into a comfortable silence, thinking of the man riding beside me.

He was a mystery, putting it lightly. One moment he was cold, withdrawn, and absolutely infuriating while the next he was gentle, confiding and very likable to be around. I now know the reason behind his many bitter actions but if he believed everything had a reason, should he not have had some consolation by now?

The ride passed quickly and whenever one of us would find something to say, or ask, we would engage in small conversation, making it a very pleasant endeavor.

"We are here. Can you see Cael? In the distance there?" He asked as he held up his gloved hand and pointed a finger. He was clad in very fine clothing today, his tunic a rich green, embroidered with the intricate pattern of the royal crest. His brown slacks a fine leather, his knee high boots shined to perfection.

I squinted my eyes ahead as I looked for the village. I smiled when I could see rooftops and chimneys billowing smoke into the sky.

"Yes," I nodded excitedly, "I can."

In only moments we were upon the town, entering into the streets, the horses hooves making a sharp sound on the cobblestone.

"Sir Stanton! You have arrived," a short man said as he came bustling down the street, the few people passing him by staring in interest.

"Yes, Dubois, I have. I trust everything is going smoothly?" he asked as he dismounted. He walked swiftly over to the side of Breezy and held his arm out to me.

My mind became stunned for a moment before I gripped his arm and used it to brace myself and assist me in getting down from Breezy.

"Thank you," I said in a small voice, not wanting to be rude in front of the man called Dubois.

"And who is this fine woman?" he asked Stanton, before looking back to me with a grin.

"This is Lady Rebecca, companion to Princess Amelia, she will be joining me today," he introduced. I curtseyed quickly and smiled politely.

"It is nice to meet you, Lady Rebecca, I am Patrick Dubois, my brother is the Duke."

"It is nice to meet you, as well," I said quietly.

I couldn't help but feel an awkward but almost warming sensation come over me as Patrick looked from Stanton back to myself, curiosity shining in his eyes.