From Protector To Lady Chapter 4

My legs were trembling violently as I stood outside the tall wooden doors that went into the King's study. Rose had brought me here just moments before. She had knocked three times, put her ear to the door, nodded at me and whispered, "You will hear him invite you in and then enter."

I nodded quickly, my whole world bobbing up and down.

"Good luck," she said as she took my hand, squeezed it and walked off. I followed her full figure down the hallway in despair. I did not want to enter alone.

     My heart jumped into my throat when I heard a deep voice say "You may come in," from inside the room.

     I braced myself, swallowed hard once and pushed open the door. I tried not to stumble due to the slippers Rose made me put on earlier, they had a small, narrow heel that I was not used to.

"Rebecca Morin," I heard a voice say from before me, my eyes were glued to the floor. I did a deep curtsy and kept my eyes downcast.

"You need not be afraid, my girl. Look at me," the same voice said, with a hint of humor lacing it. I nervously let my eyes travel upward and was surprised to see three people standing there. It was very obvious who the King was, with his large crown, sitting upon a deep red and gold throne. The other two people were standing beside him, one woman and one man.

"Won't you say anything?" the King said with a smile on his face. My eyes popped open wide. What a fool I am! I have been standing here, gawking like some sort of dupe.

"I...I'm afraid I don't know much of what to say. I hope this does not anger you, I'm not familiar with these situations," I said quietly, my voice stronger than I expected.

"That's quite the reason why I wanted you to come here, you are so very down to earth compared to the rest of the women within leagues. I know that you will do my dear Amelia a wonderful service," he said as he gazed to the woman on his right. She was very pretty. She stood a little shorter than myself, with almond shaped eyes and blonde hair that was weaved up, a delicate tiara placed upon her head.

"I am glad to have you here. I have been looking for just the perfect companion for my dear daughter for some time now," he said as he took her hand within his own.

"I am honored, Your Majesty," I said with another small curtsy. Amelia smiled as I did so.

"Rebecca, this is Amelia," he said as he motioned to his daughter.

"Pleased to meet you," I said with a smile, she returned it with a smile of her own, it seemed genuine enough.

"Charmed," she said back, her eyes shining.

"And this, is my son, Philip," the king said as he motioned to the man beside him. I could feel my eyebrows pull together in confusion; I did not know there was a prince as well - perhaps I had forgotten in light of recent events. Or perhaps I had heard before and never bothered to truly listen, I did not expect to ever meet the royal family.

     He stood tall, much taller than Amelia. He had broad shoulders and sharp features; bright eyes and disheveled dark hair. There was no denying he was a very handsome man. I shook the thought from my mind completely.

"I am honored," I said quietly as I curtsied again.

"The pleasure is all mine, I assure you," Philip said in a caramel smooth voice that made goose bumps appear on my arms.

     I nodded, unsure of what to do. I bit my lip and looked from the King, to the princess, and back to the prince before the King spoke up again.