From Protector To Lady Chapter 34

Here's the next chapter guys. :^)
Please let me know what you think!

Anyways, here you go!

<3

--------------------

We had been back home in Tarantsmo again for a short few days. Jahnai could not stop talking about Phillip since we had left. He had promised to write her and that hopefully they would see each other again soon.

I had decided to sleep in after Stanton rose in the morning, having to meet with two of his duchy advisors.

I dressed and made my way down to the kitchen, requesting fruit and eggs for breakfast. I smiled to myself as I ate my breakfast. My heart was content. 

What to do now? I decided on spending my day in the library, losing myself in a book. I read for what seemed hours, reading short stories of adventure. Some of the stories reminded me of when I had helped fend off raiders in Rillanon. Part of me couldn't help but miss it, the feeling of my bow securely in my hand, a sword or dagger sheathed at my hip.

I was soon interrupted as one of the staff poked their heads into the library.

"Miss, the Duke has requested you meet him in your quarters."

"Oh," I breathed, "thank you."

I placed the book back upon its place in the shelf and I slowly opened the door and I lost all thought at what I saw.

Stanton stood in front of the jewelry stand, a single long stemmed white rose in his hand. My heart fluttered as I saw a large arrangement of white roses behind him. What was this about?

"Come," he cooed as he held his hands out. I slowly walked to him and placed my hands in his.

"It has been three months now since we wed. A tumultuous ride it has been but nevertheless, we have come farther than I would have thought since that day. Not too long ago I asked that you tolerate me but now I am not satisfied with tolerance. I want more than that," he said. I struggled to find any words to say so I just watched as he turned around and picked something up off the jewelry stand. And then, before my eyes, my husband kneeled down before me, his large hands fiddling with something as he looked up at me.

"I know that in the laws of binding, we are already husband and wife but it haunts me, the way this situation was brought upon you. I ask on this day of our anniversary, will you be my wife, not because it has been ordered of us, but because it is your wish?"

I watched as he held up a silver ring which had a diamond set upon it. My eyes popped open as he took the gold band that had been assigned to us and slipped it from the finger upon my left hand. His eyes found mine as he waited for my answer. My heart was racing, my throat tight, and I found myself struggling to speak. Unable to find the words to say, I only nodded. The tenderness of this man in front of me and this act had me fighting against tears. I smiled as he put the new, shining silver circlet upon my finger.

"I," I started, only to lose words again. I placed my hands upon either side of his face as I dropped down to my knees before him. I pressed my body to his and I whispered "Yes. It is my wish."

I laughed as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me to my feet, kissing me tenderly. "Now the ring upon your finger doesn't symbolize something forced against your wishes. I know we still are not of the traditional man and wife but perhaps now when you look at the ring upon your finger you will be reminded of a happy moment, rather than the arrangement forced upon us. "

"Thank you, I find I am at a loss for words," I smiled, looking into the blue eyes of the man in front of me. How had we gotten this far, this man I used to hate, used to share nothing but cross words with? It didn't matter now. Now we were husband and wife and my family close. What have I to complain about?