From Protector To Lady Chapter 29

My heart flew into my chest as I heard a loud, sharp knock on the chamber doors. I instantly barreled underneath the blankets of our bed for cover.

I looked to Stanton and saw an irritated scowl cross his face before he lifted himself from the bed and slowly pulled on his trousers, giving me a grand view of his entire body.

I watched as he walked over shirtlessly to the door and opened it, my eyes hungrily admiring the muscles that strapped his back. The sight of a man's body has never caused any such reaction from me before, and it was strange - and thrilling.

Opening the door, the man on the other side quietly muttered something and handed what appeared to be a letter to Stanton. Stanton, nodding his head wordlessly he accepted the letter, closed the door and turned to me.

"It is addressed to you," Stanton spoke as he held his arm out, his hand offering the letter

to me. "It has been sent from Rillanon, I assume it is a reply from your family."

I quickly snatched the letter from him, one hand holding the blanket to my chest to stop it from falling down my naked body. I watched as he dropped his hand and slowly walked to the washroom.

My eyes hungrily scanned over the letter. As I reached the end I squealed in happiness and looked to Stanton.

"They have agreed, they wish to join us here, in Tarantsmo. Oh this is wonderful!" I smiled as I shot up, my hand still clamped upon my chest as I quickly flitted over to the washroom, my hand pounding on the door.

"Stanton!" I said, excitedly.

"Stanton! You were right, it was from my family!" I smiled as I walked from the door, not waiting to see if I got a response. I walked around the room, scanning over the letter again, my trance only being broken from hearing Stanton speak.

"I'm pleased to hear it," he smiled as he walked up to me.

"I cannot thank you enough," I said as I looked up to him, his looming figure now in front of me.

"It was an easy decision to make, you love your family, you want to be near them again," he said as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I tilted my face so my cheek rested in his palm, a wistful feeling taking over my entire being.

At that moment, every event over the past few months ran through my mind. My first day at the palace, meeting Stanton the first time, the prince's advances, the ball, the news of my brother...I couldn't stop the tears that welled in my eyes.

"Are you alright?" He asked, his fingers gently tilting my face up. "What is the matter? Are you not pleased?" he spoke, his voice laced with gentleness.

"I am, I am very pleased. I just...I never would have imagined I'd be in a situation as such in my life. I had never imagined anything other than living in Rillanon for the rest of my life, caring for my family. And here I am," I explained, my lip quivering. I was happy. I cannot remember the last time I was truly as happy as this very moment. My family would be coming to live in Tarantsmo, a beautiful place, where they will well taken care of. My brother will never go hungry. He will get the medical attention he needs.

I felt foolish as Stanton wrapped his arms around me and pulled me to his chest, my arms cradling the blanket that was still swathed around me.

"I do not remember the last time I felt so happy," I explained honestly.

"It thrills me to hear such, I wish for nothing but you to be happy here. I wouldn't be able to stand it if you were miserable in Tarantsmo," he said his large hand rubbing my back, soothing me as I stopped the little tremors that shook my body.