From Protector to Lady Chapter 32

"Rebecca," I heard a voice coo as I was being prodded from my slumber.

"Mmm," I stretched, not wanting to wake up.

"Unless you want to spend the rest of the day in bed, I would suggest getting up, it's been nearly three hours," Stanton said as he shook me again.

It took me a couple of moments to come to but the warm touch of my skin on his helped pry me back into reality.

Hearing a sharp knock on the door, I pulled the blanket of the bed closer to myself. I must have been tired, I didn't remember getting under the covers.

"Why is it that somebody is always knocking upon our door when I have no dress on?" I asked.

"Good timing?" Stanton laughed.

"Ha," I scoffed and slapped his arm as he got up, watching the entire time as he pulled on his trousers.

I lay my head back and relaxed a few moments more, reluctant to get up.

"You have a visitor," Stanton called to me.

"A vistor? My family is here already, who could it be?" I asked as he shut the door. I quickly pulled myself from the comfort of our bed and began to dress, anxious to meet whoever was waiting.

I barely had time to get through the door into the main entrance before I heard a high pitched squeal and was nearly tackled by someone.

"Why didn't you tell me you got MARRIED?! And MOVED? And are a DUCHESS?"

"Jahnai!" I squealed in delight as I threw my arms around my dearly missed cousin.

I pulled away and put her at arms length, unbelieving that she was actually here. "I cannot believe it! I have missed you so," I said as I pulled her back in for a hug.

"Me too, cousin," she smiled.

"Now, back to it. You have left out so much! You know you haven't written in AGES," she pouted.

"I know, so much has happened, and all of it so quickly. I didn't even tell my parents until after the fact, it has been so overwhelming," I sighed. "Well, did you bring bags? Won't you stay for a while?"

"Oh, of course. I'll be staying with your parents for a few nights. They told me as soon as they were settled they would send for me, as a surprise to you. Their home is beautiful," she cooed. I grabbed her arm and started leading her on a tour.

"Isn't it? I am so glad they decided to come," I smiled.

"How could they have refused? They had no reason to stay, lord this place is beautiful," she exclaimed as we walked outside to the gardens.

"I know. I don't know how I ended up here," I smiled, overlooking the grounds and the land that I live on.

"Rebecca," I heard Stanton call out from behind me. "Won't you introduce me to your guest? You all but ran off before I had a chance to say hello," he smiled as he approached us

I looked to Jahnai, wide eyed and mouth agape. She looked from Stanton, to me, and back.

"You've got to be kidding me," she whispered to me.

"Not in the least," I replied as Stanton smiled a dazzling smile at the both of us.

"Jahnai, this is my husband, the Duke, Stanton. And Stanton, this is my cousin and dearest friend, Jahnai," I introduced.

"She will be staying with my parents for a few nights, they arranged this as a surprise to me," I explained.

"Ah, very thoughtful of them. I am sure you two have much to catch up on, Jahnai, won't you join us for dinner tonight?"