From Protector To Lady Chapter 2

"I cannot believe you're leaving tomorrow!" Jahnai wailed as she threw her arms around my neck.

"I know, I just heard word from them a couple days ago, they wasted no time, but it will be better for my family. I couldn't say no," I said as I wiped my dirty hands on my tan brown slacks.

"I understand, but I will miss you! How will I keep Joseph in line now?" She giggled as she picked up her basket, which was now full of freshly picked vegetables from her garden.

"I believe you'll do just fine," I smiled.

We brought the vegetables to the kitchens of her father's estate to be washed before we walked to Jahnai's chambers.

I groaned as I crossed in front of Jahnai's full length mirror.

"What is it?" Jahnai asked as I took in my appearance.

"Gowns. I'm going to have to wear gowns," I sighed.

I tucked stray strands of hair behind my ears as I took in my appearance. I definitely was not the orthodox woman. I had on an oversized, loose fitting gray tunic, tan slacks, a leather belt that was used to hold weapons, traps, or other things, and knee high boots over top the slacks. I did not have the clothing to appear as a woman, but that could be changed...that would be changed as soon as I left my home. My tunic was worn out on the right shoulder where I slung my bow as I walked through the woods outside of Rillanon.

I then looked to my physical traits, the ones that could not be changed no matter how hard anybody tried. My hair, which hung a small ways just passed my shoulders, was medium brown and wavy...I didn't even try to control it, I found no use. I just pulled it back most of the time anyways when I was out hunting or working. My eyes were big and brown, my nose straight, and my lips full.

"You will get used to them eventually," she said as she put a hand reassuringly on my shoulder.

"I sure hope so," I smiled as I looked at her. Her pale pink gown made her look feminine. I didn't know how to be feminine. It was something that I was never interested in, even as a child, I was more interested in my father's hunting treasures than my mother's dolls and ribbons.

"Alright, well I have to go hunting now. I'm hoping I'll be able to get enough to sustain my family until they are 'taken care of' as the letter said," I scoffed as I gave Jahnai a hug before leaving.

A short while later I had my bow in hand; arrow nocked and ready. I had yet to check the traps I had set last night before I went to sleep for the night. That would be my last stop, I had to get as much as I could for my family to make sure they had enough to take care of themselves for a while.

I had been the main provider for my family for years now. I was nineteen and my father's health had taken a large hit when he suffered an accident six years ago. He could no longer hunt because he could hardly move the entire left side of his body. We had to pool all of our money in order to get a doctor to look at him but he said the chances of regaining a full range of motion were extremely slim.

I shook the thoughts from my head as I slowly stepped through the forest, making sure to look up and down as dinner was both high and low in these woods. Birds and squirrels made for good meals, as well as rabbits and other ground dwellers. Deer were always a welcomed and cherished kill. They allowed us to eat well for at least weeks.

I whistled a low whistle and then stood still as a stone, listening. I heard a small scuttling behind me and I slowly turned. I squinted my eyes into the shrubbery and aimed at the small rabbit I saw bouncing around. I took a steady breath and released my arrow. It flew with great accuracy and speed, making sure the animal was gone before it had the chance to feel any pain. I didn't enjoy killing the animals but it had to be done. My family had to eat.

I slowly walked to and picked up the rabbit, stringing it to my leather belt with a thin rope.

Around what I assumed to be an hour later, I had one more rabbit, along with three pheasants from my snares. I was satisfied with the days reaping.

I took my time as I walked back to my home, enjoying the last time I would be able to walk through these woods for who knew how long. Tomorrow morning I left to live in the palace of Ethelid with the princess. I knew nothing of the far away southern lands. I knew that surrounding Ethelid was the huge palace town of Somersham. From what I had heard from other residents of Rillanon was that Somersham was a large, beauteous place. Apparently it was very graceful and rich in glorious amenities, like fountains and warm water heaters in all of the buildings. They say they hold a large tank in the lavatory area that holds water and that there is also some apparatus connected to it that is stocked with fire and warms it and also a spout that it pours out of and into the wash basin. That amazed me. When we wanted a warm bath at my home, my mother had to warm the water on the wood stove for us. Many times we just washed in cold water, it was easier.

I cleaned the animals on the edge of the woods before I entered the village, keeping the rabbit pelts, knowing my mother could use the soft fur for mittens in the cooler months. The sun had set already by the time I reached home.

"Ah Rebecca! How did your hunts go today?" My father asked as he slowly staggered up.

"Very well. Two rabbits and three pheasants, plus whatever remains from my other recent hunts, you should be well for a few days at least," I smiled as I brought them to the sink where my mother would wash them, cook some of it, and pack the rest in salt for preservation.

"Don't worry about us, Becca," he said as he pecked my cheek lightly, his short beard slightly scratching my skin as I smiled.

"I cannot help it, father. What if they do not take care of you as they say? Who will get the food for you then?" I said as I sat down at the table, wringing my hands together.

"Snares are easy enough, your mother or brother could handle them I am sure. I also have talked to Roy, he has promised he can work out a deal with us for rations if needed," he said in reassurance.

Roy was the town butcher, everybody brought their game to him to be properly quartered and packaged for a fee that most families could afford. My family was one of the hardest off in the town. My father could not work anymore because of his health and my mother did what she could. She did laundry for many of the villagers, but mostly they brought it to her out of pity. They could do their own laundry but they knew we were struggling. My mother tried many times to find other work but there was none. It bothered me immensely to watch this, my mother's and father's dignity get beaten down.

The profits I made from my uncle for watching over Jahnai were the only thing that kept our stomachs full and our bodies clothed. If the royal assistant did not keep good on his promise and take care of my family, I would not be able to live with myself for leaving. At least I would have some solace knowing that Roy would watch over them and make sure they did not grow hungry. Todd was extremely young but he would be able to set snares and hopefully catch a rabbit or squirrel every now and then. He would definitely be eager enough to learn what my father would be able to teach him.

I nodded, "That is very good to hear. At least I have one less thing to be anxious about now."

"Yes daughter, we will be fine. You must be exhausted, get some rest. We will get up in the morning to see you off," he said as he walked to the small living quarters to sit next to my mother who was working on her needlework. She had been very quiet the past few days, knowing I would soon be leaving. It would be extremely hard for her to say goodbye to her only daughter and first child. I smiled to myself as I saw my father, the goofy man that he is, sit on her lap and bounce up and down like a child - at least he was able to get a smile out of her.

I slowly heaved myself up and into my room. I saw Todd already fast asleep on the small bed we both shared. I stripped my tunic and pants, pulling a large shirt and big cotton pants over myself before kissing Todd on the forehead, crawling in next to him and holding him in my arms. I tried to fight the tears that threatened to spill down my cheeks. I told myself that this once was alright. This was the only time I would cry because of this situation. Tomorrow, I would be strong. Tomorrow, I would say goodbye to my mother, father, and beloved little brother. Tomorrow, I would plunge myself into a completely foreign world.