From Protector To Lady Chapter 26

I woke early that morning, feeling rejuvenated. I took a deep breath and went to stretch, only to realize one of my arms was wrapped tightly around a warm form. Looking I saw Rebecca's small body molded to my side, my arm keeping her tight to me. I studied her for a few moments. Her lips parted slightly as she inhaled slowly. Her face was soft, void of any lines or wrinkles usually accompanied by one who has faced the hardships she has. She showed no signs of her struggles, rich in her youth yet. Though she has faced much more turmoil than is norm for any nineteen year old woman.

    It was difficult to believe that I would wake to this woman each and every morning; that I would share the rest of my time with her. Would it even be possible? I hardly knew her. Other than she was extremely independent...stubborn, loyal, and fierce. For those traits, I admired her, but even so, she was incredibly vulnerable. There was so much in life she had yet to experience. She would have been content to live in Rillanon, providing for her family, for the rest of her existence. Now she has been thrust into a completely new world, one that she was forced to quickly adjust to.

    I couldn't push away the small amount of pity and even guilt that formed in my stomach. Even though I was in the same situation as her, I felt as if though this was always what was going to be thrust upon me in one way or another. I would never have been allowed to remain unwed for the rest of my days, but Rebecca, she could have done so.

    It is possible that I was too harsh on her when she went against my wishes and went into town but I would not let it escape her attention that she was possibly in grave danger and when I tell her something, I mean it in all seriousness. I knew now that trying to make her do anything would just end up in her rebelling against me. I would have to be careful about the way I spoke to her in the future. This annoyed me. I should be able to say what I wish, I should not need a filter in my own home. Was it so hard to wish for some simplicity? I feared that with Rebecca, nothing would be simple.

    It amazed me the distance that was still between us, even after us being wed. Most couples now would have consummated the marriage and at least pretended to have some forms of affection for each other, even if it was one sided. Unfortunately, most of the attention was given on the male side, making many arranged marriages very uncomfortable for the women. I knew the night of our marriage we would not be taking part in the usual acts of the marriage night, and I did not expect to. If there was one thing I would not do, it is force myself upon a lady, especially now that she is my wife. Some men would think that since she is my wife, she is mine to do with what I please, but I did not share these sentiments. She remained pure, of that I was nearly certain. And if she wished to give herself to me in time, then she would, but I would not strip it from her unwillingly.

    My mind turned to the few intimate moments we did share - when I kissed her the first time, and how she reacted. She reacted so passionately for a time, before she realized what was happening. I chuckled quietly to myself remembering how fierce she became after that. I still do not know exactly why I had kissed her but I could not stop it and I did not regret it, it would be silly now to regret it anyways.

    I sat with thoughts swirling throughout my mind for a few more moments before an idea began to form in my mind. I smiled to myself, knowing she would be pleased - the gift I had created for her would have been finished by now.

    I sighed as I slowly slipped out of the bed, trying my best not to wake her from her slumber. I watched as she clutched the blankets to her chest, her body no doubt now aware of the cool openness where my body was before.

I decided from then out I would at least attempt to be someone worthy of being married to. She did not have to care for me intimately or deeply, but as long as she respected me as a man, I would be able to return the favor.