From Protector To Lady Chapter 42

Hi all!
Here's the next part! 
Hoping to get on a more regular/frequent posting schedule now that I'm all finished with college - crazy!
I've got the outline for the rest of the story all finished up, I just need to write out the pieces!

Please, please let me know what you think!
<3

ALSO, I do have the first 5 chapters of another story written :P
IF you guys are interested in me posting it, please let me know and I'll post the first chapter soon!
--------------------------------

I turned around, pushing passed the men standing behind me as I made my way back to the orphanage and found my mother. I smiled once at her before taking her into my arms, hugging her.

"I was so relieved when we finally got word," she said as she stroked my hair.

"I know, I'm sorry for the upset I must have caused," I replied, my voice tight. I hated the thought of hurting my family in any way, they had already been through so much.

"No reason. You're home now," she said as she let go of me. I smiled once before straightening my face, not sure how my mother would react to the news I was about to tell her.

"Mother, there is something you must know," I said as I lead her from the room with the playing children into the small dining room I had confronted Helen in not too long ago.

"What is it?" She asked, her brows gathering in concern.

"I'm not aware of what kind of rumors may have been spreading throughout Tarantsmo...," I started.

She quickly picked up, "there was only one rumor," she nodded. "One that you had taken off on your own, leaving everyone and everything behind. I don't think anybody put much stock into it."

"I'm surprised there was no word spreading of the attack," I said.

"I kept what I knew mostly to myself, but no, as far as I know, there was no knowledge of the attack at all, Stanton's men who knew about it kept to themselves, he never made any kind of statement," she replied.

"I suppose that makes some sort of sense," I mumbled. Helen paid to have me taken from Tarantsmo and killed. It would be no surprise if she planted the seed of the rumor, of me abandoning Tarantsmo. My blood boiled as I knew this to be true. After all, if I left Tarantsmo with no trace, I could not be in her way.

Unfortunately for her, the mercenaries made a mistake when taking me for I had been with Stanton. I had to believe that Stanton was not to be part of the ambush, that his injury was a mistake and that was why Helen fled. The woman wanted me killed because I would not let her continue her advances on Stanton? Stanton had told her himself he was not interested and still she would not take no for an answer? What sort of delusion was the woman living under?

"What happened, Rebecca?" My mother asked, her voice bringing me back from my thoughts.

"Someone hired mercenaries to take me from Tarantsmo and end my life," I spoke quietly. I watched as her eyes grew and her mouth dropped.

"Why?" she whispered as tears welled in her eyes before spilling over. "Who? I have never heard anything but kind words of you from the townsfolk. The same is true for your father and Jahnai. Nearly every time we venture to the market, someone extends their well wishes upon our family."

"This is going to be difficult for you to hear," I told her.

She wiped at her eyes once before she nodded, her face resolved.

"Helen paid for my death," I said, my voice tight, not able to mask the hatred I had formed for the woman.

All of the color drained from my mothers face as she processed what I had said. "She hasn't left on holiday," she said, understanding what has happened.