From Protector To Lady Chapter 39

Hey guys,

Here's the next part! I was pretty much dyyyyying as I wrote it, so please let me know your thoughts!
I love getting feedback from you guys, you don't know how much it means to me. <3

P.s. this chapter is loading weirdly on my computer, it cuts off after like two pages. If it seems to be loading wonky, try reloading. Mine keeps cutting off after he tells her who Michael is - it does NOT end here. This chapter is 2900 words, so keep trying to reload it if that happens!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It hurts," I whispered, my voice wavering as I could no longer ignore the pain in my body. "Everything hurts."

"Rebecca, I am so sorry," Stanton started before I cut him off.

"Don't," I whispered, leaving my cheek pressed to his. I knew he would blame himself for what had happened.

I could feel his jaw clench as he fought against the words he wanted to say. I slightly pulled back before I turned and pressed my lips to his cheek, to which he slowly withdrew and turned his face, his forehead pressed against mine as if asking for permission. I tilted my head up and he gently kissed me, sending flutters throughout my body. I had missed him.

Just as he withdrew, the door to the chambers opened and an elderly man walked in.

"Ah, you've woken," he said as he walked up to me. "I'm Dr. Robert Mattson, I've been tending to your injuries with the help from your husband."

I nodded lightly, biting my lip against the pain radiating throughout my body.

"I'm sorry to report that you will be in pain for quite a while. Your ribs have taken immense damage and the wounds on your lower legs have become infected. It's impossible to know if your ribs are broken, fractured or just bruised but if any piece of bone has chipped off, I fear for what may happen. I have bound your torso and I have applied a poultice to your legs but I need to change it before retiring for the night," he explained.

A few moments later he came back with a mortar and pestle, mixing his poultice together. He handed it to Stanton, who was now by his side, as he took a small shears and began cutting the bandages off my legs.

I was surprised at how tender the area was and I bit my cheek to stop myself from hissing in pain as he began to pull off the bandages. I tried to focus on something else but the only other thing my senses wanted to register was the crushing pain in my torso with every shallow breath I took.

Stanton looked at me apologetically, to which I shot back a reprimanding look. I didn't want him to feel responsible for my injuries. The pain lessened greatly when Robert began to apply the poultice generously to my legs, bandaging them again as soon as he finished.

"I will go fetch a meal, it is absolutely imperative that you eat something," he said as he put away his mortar and pestle and scurried out the door.

As soon as the doctor left, Stanton was once again at my side, studying my hand, which sat in the large palm of his uninjured hand. We sat in silence for the moments that the doctor was gone.

The doctor returned shortly after. He handed Stanton a wooden bowl filled with stew and he placed a goblet of water on the bedside table next to the chair where Stanton sat.

"Water, please," I said, my throat aching.

Stanton nodded and looked to the doctor. "We'll have to raise you up a little, we don't want you to choke," the doctor spoke.