From Protector To Lady Chapter 24

My hands shook in pure excitement as I held the fancy fountain pen in my hand. How to start? I did not even know where to begin to start! My heart was racing and I just wished so badly for my family to be here. What if they did not wish to come? My stomach dropped for a moment before I shook the thought from my mind. Surely, they would wish to join me.

Mother, Father, and Todd,

I am sorry that my last letter was so short and abrupt - let me go into a bit more detail now.

Before I start boring you with all the details of myself, I do pray and hope that you are all well. Roy has told me that Todd has made many advancements in his recovery, I was simply elated to have heard the news.

I am also sure that you have been informed by others of my current situation. In case you had any doubts even after having received my last letter, yes, it is true. I am now a married woman. I could not refuse the pressures put on me by the king for fear that he would harm any of you. I fear that if I refused I would have never been allowed to see my dear family again.

That is another reason why I am writing, I find that I cannot keep it from you for even a moment! Sir Stanton has proposed an arrangement to me, one that I simply adore him for. I will not lie, I am not positive on my true thoughts of the man - how ironic when he is the very man I am wed to.

I digress, I'm sorry. Stanton has asked me if it would please me to ask the three of you to live in Tarantsmo, the duchy controlled by Stanton. I nearly fainted when I heard the news. He wishes you three to move and live here! You would be less than a ten minute walk from where I now reside. Our manor is not quite in town, but I can see the beautiful buildings from here.

I do hope you wish to join me and we can finally become a family again. Stanton has told me that he has even found a home that would suit you perfectly. How wonderful! You would not have to worry about anything ever again, whether it be food or funds. And Todd could get a proper education if you wished it so!

Please do reply with all haste, I wish to hear word back from you as soon as possible!

Love,

Rebecca.

I was giddy as I sealed the letter and left it upon the tabletop, not completely sure what should be done with it. Looking around me, my eyes locked on the door and I decided I would find Stanton, surely he would see that the letter found its destination.

Upon leaving out the door, I looked down the hallway to my left and to my right, unsure exactly of where to start my search.

Thanking my luck, one of the young aides I had been introduced to earlier passed by. Calling out I waved my hand, "Excuse me. I'm sorry for bothering, but do you have any idea where Stanton might be?"

"Actually, yes. He entered his study a few minutes ago, perhaps he will still be there if you hurry," she said as she adjusted her skirts.

"Thank you," I nodded. "And if I might ask, what is your name?" I vaguely remembered her face, but I was hoping to eventually learn the names of all the staff.

"Amber, my lady," she said with a quick curtsy.

Nodding I spoke, "Pleased to met you Amber. Thank you for your help, I will be seeing you," I said as I took off in the direction of the other wing of the manor, knowing that was where the study was held, though I wasn't sure of its exact location.

After entering several rooms that were not the study, I finally was greeted by the sight of a looming figure standing over a table, looking down upon it in fierce concentration.