From Protector To Lady Chapter 10

"Princess Amelia, I have been looking for you. I have Rebecca under my care," I said as I found the flighty princess fluttering down the hallway.

"Oh thank you. What has happened?" She asked, clutching my arm, her eyes searching for the answers I could not give.

"I do not know. She was incredibly upset. She has fallen into a slumber now, I suspect her body could not handle the stress."

"Oh, Stanton! I must know what has happened, I must find her!" Amelia said as she looked all around her, as if expecting Rebecca to appear out of thin air.

"No, you will not try to find her. You will not bother her until she is ready to face you again on her own," I spoke strictly, my voice stern.

"I do not know why you care so much, you are not nearly as close to her as I," she said as she narrowed her eyes becoming defiant.

"I may not know exactly what she is going through, but I promise I can sympathize better than you. You are her friend, but what can you truly offer her right now by harassing her with questions and empty promises that everything will be alright?"

I saw her face turn red with anger, but she knew I was right.

"Fine. But when she wakes up, you tell her I will be waiting for her," she said before storming off back through the castle.

     Shaking my head I walked through the hallways to the kitchen, where I sought out the main cook.

"Can you prepare me a small meal?" I asked the man, nodding at him in acknowledgement, not knowing his name. I had seen him enough times, but never once had I heard his name. Or maybe I have, but have just never taken the time to pay much attention to it.

"Yes, yes of course," he said as he looked at me with wide eyes. The dark tunic I wore that was embellished with the crest of the king was all the man needed to see in order to know he was to do as I asked.

     I tapped my fingers impatiently on a table as I waited for the man to prepare the meal.

"May I also please get a goblet of wine as well?"

"Yes, yes, my good sir," the man said, nodding as he ladled what looked to be a stew into a wooden bowl. Alongside the bowl he put two pieces of bread on the tray before filling a goblet with wine.

"Here you are," he said as he handed me the small tray containing the food.

"Thank you," I said curtly before I left.

     Walking back to my chambers I was careful not to spill any of the contents. I slowly opened the door, making sure to be as quiet as possible. I sighed when I saw the young woman was still sleeping soundly.

     I set the tray on the end table that was next to the bed. Looking Rebecca over for the first time without her yelling or scowling at me, I noticed many things I had not before. She was extremely feminine, even if her demeanor did not exactly match. Lying on her side, her hips rounded nicely and her chest was full while her waist thin. Her face was delicate, with lips that looked soft and thick eyelashes that framed what would be warm brown eyes if they were not shut in slumber.

     Looking her over I could not help but feel a pang of desire – which I quickly shook off given the circumstances. She was a foul mouthed, temperamental woman and she infuriated me to no end. Even so, I could appreciate her striking quality.

     If I had simply seen a woman of her attractions in the market, I would have stopped and made her another conquest. But now that I know the ways of the mouth and mind on this girl, I did not think I would ever have the patience enough to even try such a feat...but a feat it would be, and no doubt a highly enjoyable one.