From Protector To Lady Chapter 28

I woke the next morn wrapped comfortably in the arms of my husband. I was unused to waking in such a way but it was actually quite pleasant. I decided to get up and dress before Stanton woke but as I tried to scoot away I heard him grunt in displeasure and pull me back to himself, nuzzling the back of my neck with his nose, his warm breathing sizzling on my skin. I froze as a shiver ran down my spine and knew he wasn't properly awake.

"Stanton?" I said quietly.

I got no reply, confirming my suspicions of him still being in slumber.

Taking a breath I quickly rolled myself away, breaking the barrier of his arms and freeing myself and quickly standing.

I turned and noticed his eyes were groggily opening, my attempts at escaping without waking him for naught.

"Rebecca?" He asked, his voice deep and gruff, heavy with sleep.

"Yes, I'm sorry for having woken you..I tried not to," I replied, my eyes now registering that he was completely bare chested as he rolled onto his back, arms splaying out to the sides. "Weren't you wearing a night shirt?" I blurted and then instantly covered my mouth with my hand, mortified.

"I was, I became hot last night, you are a warm little heater snuggled next to me," he said nonchalantly as he put his hands behind his head, his biceps bulging and chest muscles stretching taught in a most attractive way.

I could feel my face flaming and I shook my head to try and clear my thoughts, "Um, right," I said.

"I was unaware that the manner of my clothing affected you so," he teased, his face wry.

"It doesn't!" I bit back, defensively.

I stood with my hands on my hips and glared at him as woefully as I could, making an attempt at intimidation, but a grin just found its way to his lips.

"What are you smiling so about?"

"You notice the lack of my clothing before you notice that yours has been compromised as well, it rather suits you," he said, winking once.

Confused, I looked down and my heart flew to my throat and my hands flew to my chest. A number of the buttons on the front of my nightgown had come undone, showing a considerably larger amount of my chest than I would have ever shown purposely.

I looked to Stanton and saw that his face was bright. Failing to find the right words to say I stormed to the closet, ignoring the sound of his howling laughter behind me.

Later, at breakfast, Stanton was still smiling and I hadn't said another word since the small wardrobe malfunction.

"You could have at least told me," I snapped as I tore off a piece of a biscuit.

"I had!" He replied, failing to hide the humor in his voice.

"Well, I meant, I don't know!" I said as I shook my head moodily. It could have been much worse...had it only been unbuttoned a little more, or had it fallen any lower..I cringed at the thought. I had never bared my body to anybody and I was not comfortable with the notion of it being an accident.

"I didn't mind," he said, his eyes sparkling over his goblet as he sipped.

I gasped, "Well of course you wouldn't, you rake!" I huffed, putting my fork down as I threatened to stand up and leave the pompous man to eat breakfast alone.

"Now now! Hold on," he said, his face serious now. "Firstly, I am not a rake. Second, I am a man and it is coded in my nature to find the female body attractive and yours is very much so of that nature. Third, it is a compliment. I did not intend to insult you or embarrass you. I am sorry if I played it off too lightly."