From Protector To Lady Chapter 22

As soon as we entered the palace we were met by two servants.

"Hello Duke Holwell, Duchess," the woman said nodding from Stanton to me. It hadn't really hit me until now. I'm a duchess. I'm a married woman. I have a husband. I have duties as a wife. I have services I must provide to my husband. I shuddered at the thought.

"Our things are prepared I trust?" Stanton asked, sounding slightly on edge. My arm was still linked with his as he walked us through the hallways.

"Yes, everything has been packed into the carriage, you will leave straight off and arrive at Lourv just before dark," the other woman spoke.

"Thank you," he said.

     A few moments later we were standing outside the palace in the courtyard in front of an extremely large, extravagant covered carriage.

"Oh Rebecca!" I heard a voice squeal from behind me just as I was about to step into the carriage. "Wait, I haven't properly said goodbye!"

    I turned and saw Amelia running up to me, her face moist with tears.

I laughed as she threw herself at me, wrapping her arms tightly around me, her shoulders heaving slightly.

"Oh now," I cooed. "None of this."

"I'll miss you so, you've become my closest friend," she whined as she pulled back and wiped her eyes with her hands.

"I'll miss you as well, you can visit, and I will surely come see you as well," I reassured.

"You had better," she said, her voice cracking a little. I peeked around her shoulder, wondering if there was anybody else to say their goodbyes.

"He left after the ceremony," Amelia whispered, obviously talking about Philip.

     I nodded in understanding; I couldn't stop my heart from aching slightly. I would miss him, but perhaps this was for the better. Perhaps my presence from him would allow him to pursue other paths, one that does not include me.

"I see," I spoke. "Will you tell him I send my regards?"

"Of course, now go you two," she said, grabbing me by the shoulders and ushering me towards the carriage. Stanton stood by the door and laughed at the girl in all of her excitement.

     I accepted the hand he held out to me as he helped me enter the carriage. I peeked out the open door and saw that Amelia was surprisingly hugging Stanton as well. His face looked shocked but he returned the embrace.

"You had better treat her well Stanton, or you will have me to deal with," she scolded, pointing her finger at the man who was at least a head and a half taller than her.

     His deep voice rang out in an amused laugh as he nodded, "I'll do my best."

"Alright," she said, her voice cracking again. "Well, have off! Good luck to the both of you!" she said as Stanton climbed into the carriage, taking the seat on the opposite side of me and shutting the door behind him. I felt the carriage pull away and start moving almost instantaneously.

     I looked to him and his face held an unreadable expression before he took a deep breath and looked out the window. He did not know what to say, nor did I, but I would not break the silence. I was comfortable with not speaking. I took the time to take in the carriage.

     It was rather extravagant, with plush seats and expensive looking interior fabric. It was much like the one I had taken the first day I left my home. My heart ached as I thought of that day. Oh, how things have changed. Circumstances have taken a much different turn than I had ever imagined. I imagined myself fulfilling my duty for the princess and returning home to care for my ever needing family. Now, I was a married woman, a Duchess no less, setting off onto the journey to her new home.