From Protector To Lady Chapter 37

Hi all!

Here's the next part!

Please like and comment when you're finished reading (I got AWESOME feedback on the last chapter, so thank you guys SO much for that, please keep it up! The better response I get, the more I want to keep updating.

Eeep! Can't wait to see your thoughts on this chapter!

<3

----------------------------------------------

"Haythem, she will have to ride with you, I cannot carry her and she cannot ride alone," I spoke. I could have bound her to the mercenaries horse from earlier, but I didn't know if she had any injuries or the extent of them and I didn't want to chance hurting her further.

I would have preferred to have her ride with me but being injured, I was unable to do so. Haythem was one of the few men I would actually trust Rebecca's life with.

"Yes, of course," He said as he held her frame close to his and mounted his horse.

"Can you ride with no reins?" I asked.

"Yes," he nodded.

"Then continue to hold her like that, try to absorb as much of the shock as you can as we ride. I want to get to Belmonte as quickly as possible, surely they will have a doctor there," I spoke as I grabbed the reins of Haythem's horse and unclipped them. I didn't want to chance them falling from the horse's neck causing the horse to get caught up in them as we traveled. His horse would follow Jack, I was certain of that. The horse of the mercenary who lay with the arrow in his chest inside the building was standing near us as well. I would add it to the horses at the duchy if it followed.

I mounted Jack and took off at a gallop, glancing behind me as I did so. Haythem held Rebecca close to his chest, her legs dangling limply to the side of the horse.

It seemed to take forever to reach Belmonte and as soon as we did, we rushed into the inn and asked for a room as well as for someone to fetch a doctor.

Haythem gently placed Rebecca on the bed of the chamber we were assigned to. It only took mere moments for an old man holding a large briefcase to rush in, immediately going to Rebecca's side.

"My name is Dr. Robert Mattson and I am staying in this inn, I heard a commotion and was told there was an injured woman here. What has happened?" He asked as he opened the briefcase and took out a baton stethoscope, holding it in his hand.

"She was kidnapped by mercenaries," I spoke. I watched as the man pressed the stethoscope to her chest.

"Damn disgraceful excuses for men," he muttered under his breath. I guessed this wasn't his first time examining somebody who had suffered an unfortunate encounter with mercenaries.

I had to push back the thought of the woman who had placed the hit on Rebecca – if I didn't I feared I would ride straight from this inn to the orphanage and end that woman's life today. The fact that she would not only betray me this way but do something so utterly despicable washed any friendly memories I had of her in my mind. The woman she had become was not the same kindhearted girl I had grown up with.

"Her breathing is frightfully shallow," the doctor spoke as he placed the stethoscope back into his bag. "I need to check her for injury." 

He reached into his pack and pulled out a small shears, with rounded tips, used for cutting bandages.

"I'll take to checking on the horses and wait in the tavern," Haythem interrupted quickly as he anticipated what the doctor was about to do. I nodded and thanked him.