From Protector To Lady Chapter 18

I watched as Vodnik easily dodged my advance and side stepped. I cleared my mind of all thoughts and let my muscles take over, acting on their own, relying on instinct and years of training.

Anticipating his next move, I blocked a jab that was meant for my side and quickly brought the hilt of my sword down onto his hand, crushing his fingers and making him drop his weapon. Moving quickly I raised my foot and kicked him forcefully in the stomach. Taking advantage of his stumble backwards, I quickly kicked his sword away and sliced at his calf, the wound dropping him onto his back.

His eyes widened as he watched my advance. Standing over him I felt the victory within every inch of my body. I held my sword up, hesitating for a second, allowing him enough time for a few last words.

"Your victory will be short, Holwell, that I can promise," he spat before I plunged my sword deep within his chest, his last breath slowing wheezing out of him, his eyes dulling.

Pulling my weapon from his chest I turned and saw all men, both mine and the enemy staring at me. I held my bloodied sword in the air, in victory, before I spoke.

"Listen, traitors!" I paused. "You have two options. You can either drop your weapons now and flee, or me and my men will kill each and every one of you. I suggest you decide quickly, for I may change my mind and become much less merciful," I hollered.

I watched as a surprisingly few number of surviving raiders dropped their weapons and scampered off into the forest.

"We have succeeded, just as I thought," Briar said as he wiped his damp brow as he came to stand up next to me.

"That we have," I smiled, my body shaking with the thrill of the victory.

"Relax tonight men," I bellowed. "For in the morning, we ride out."

————————————————-

"Rebecca, this is an awful idea!" Amelia whined from next to  me.

"Nonsense. You put me through the pains of stitching," I shuddered. "Now you will do something I enjoy."

"I probably cannot even pull it back, I'm going to kill some poor unsuspecting woodland creature," She wailed. I laughed as I saw her look at the bow she was holding in her hands in pure fear.

"You will be fine. Alright, first thing, nock your arrow," I said, showing her how to place the arrow on the bowstring.

"Good. Now, grab the string with three fingers, in the crook of your first knuckle," I instructed while demonstrating.

"Okay...," she mumbled.

"Now, hold the bow up, aim, take a deep breath, pull back and release," I said. "Pull the string back as smoothly as you can, if you jerk it the arrow will bob side to side."

"I probably cannot even pull it back, I'm not like you, you know!" She accused.

"Amelia," I scolded. "It's a youth bow. Now do it."

"Hmph," she pouted. "You first."

Sighing, I aimed my bow, took a steady breath and pulled back, releasing the arrow seconds later. It sailed straight and true, right to the center of the bullseye.

"Your turn," I smiled. I watched as she easily pulled the bow back, took a deep breath, and let go of the string, closing her eyes as she did so.

"I got it!" She squealed as she pointed to the target, her arrow landed just outside the center.

"You did! Try having your eyes open next time," I teased.

She stuck her tongue out at me and laughed. "Again?!"