From Protector To Lady Chapter 3

I savored the sweet tea as I stared out the window that crisp morning. Soon the men would come and take me away from my home. They were taking me to the royal palace of Ethelid to become a lady in waiting to the princess.

I sighed when I heard my father come shuffling into the room. I looked up and saw that my mother followed him, with Todd clinging sleepily to her hand.

"Rebecca! Don't go!" he wailed as he saw me and ran up to me, jumping on my lap and clinging to my neck.

"I have to. Don't worry, I'll write letters! You'll see. It won't be so bad," I cooed as my throat tightened, threatening to choke off my words.

"I'll miss you," he said as he looked at me with his big brown eyes that were so much like my own.

"I'll miss you too," I said as I hugged him tight.

"Do you have everything packed?" My mother asked. I nodded and pointed to the small sack of things that was waiting by the door.

     Inside the brown sack was my one extra pair of slacks, tunics, and socks.  I left my bow on my bed for my brother. I hoped he would keep it as a gift and learn to use it as he got older. The rest of the knives and swords I had I gave to my father. He would give them to Todd when he was ready. Hopefully I'd be back by that time.

"Yes, there was not much to pack. Most everything needs to stay here. I took my extra clothes, that is all. I don't think I'll be needing much once I arrive there," I said coolly.

I looked up to my father and saw him with an easy grin on his face.

"I'm proud of you, Becs. You won't regret going," he said as he put his hand on my shoulder.

Just then I heard a sharp knock on the door.

"That must be them," my mother said as she smoothed her skirt and opened the door. Three tall men sauntered in.

"Is this the home of Rebecca Morin?" the tallest one's voice boomed.

"Yes. That is I," I said as I stood up. I felt Todd's arms tighten around me.

"Alright now, Toddler. I've got to go," I said as I removed his hands from behind my neck, he reluctantly slid down to the floor.

I slowly walked over to and picked up the brown sack and slung it over my shoulder.

"Goodbye mama, papa. Bye Todd, I'll write you soon," I said with a slight wave to the three of them as they stood together, arms around each other. Father wore a grin, mother had a look of anxiety on her face, and Todd was biting his lip, surely struggling with tears.

"Stay safe, my daughter," my mother said as she nodded.

I slowly turned my back and walked out the door, feeling the men walking behind me. I was surprised to see two horses attached to a large carriage outside the home.

"Please take a seat. We will have a days worth of riding ahead of us before we reach the inn," the same man who spoke earlier said. He was tall, tan, and had dark brown hair.

"Thank you," I said as I slowly climbed into the carriage and took a seat on the elegant looking red cushion inside.

"We will be staying at an inn tonight?" I asked as the other two men filed in. The oldest looking one sitting across from me, and the younger chubbier one next to me.

"Yes. It is too far to try and make into a day journey. We will reach the palace tomorrow afternoon. My name is Jacob, by the way," the dark haired man spoke.