From Protector To Lady Chapter 9

"Ouch! Blasted thing!" I squealed as I dropped my stitching and tended to my pricked finger.

I scowled as I heard Amelia's soft laughter.

"What is it that entertains you so? My pain?" I asked grumpily.

"I'm sorry, I just find it entertaining that a woman your age has never done any needlework," she commented, looking at me with apologetic eyes.

"My mother did all of that. I was never interested and I don't see why I must do so now," I spoke begrudgingly.

"You will thank me someday. Someday when you are about ready to pull out your hair because of idle hands, you will be glad to have a hobby of sorts. Also, it will come in handy when you have children, I promise."

"I will have neither of those problems, I have plenty of hobbies," I shook my head, staring angrily at the delicate fabric sitting on my lap.

"You do not plan to have children?" She asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I think not. I have a father to tend to already...and by the time I get home, probably a mother as well. I cannot see myself holding and tending to a babe. They are much too delicate. Besides, I plan to never marry anyways."

"Ahh, you are still under the illusion that no man will be able to chisel that ice away from your heart, I see," she said with amusement.

I scoffed as I looked to her. "That is right. It is no illusion. I do not and will not need a man."

"Please, don't jest with me, Rebecca. I already know you well. I can see clearly the light in your eyes when you speak of my brother and his training."

"Nonsense," I shook my head vigorously. "I take pride in him yes, but as a student; nothing more than that."

"If you insist," she said, smiling to herself. I narrowed my eyes at her in defiance.

I did not see anything more romantic in Philip than I did in a stump in the woods.

He was attractive, yes, and sometimes I found myself dazzled and quite perturbed by him and the way he looked upon me, but nothing would ever come from it. He was comparable to a fine piece of jewelry. Nice enough to look at, but something I just had no interest in or use for.

"I do insist," I nodded.

"You will find out someday, what it is like when a man looks at you with the heat of passion in his eyes. And you will feel the thrill of a first kiss, a first touch. Speak to me after that, and I dare say you will have changed your views dramatically," she said softly. I could see her eyebrows pull together, obviously reminiscing.

I sighed as I thought of her heartache. That was one very large reason I did not want a man in my life. Was the heartache truly worth all the trouble? To look so miserable and so broken, all because of a man? I would not let any man hold that power over me. I would not let any man have my heart in his hands to do with what he pleased.

I looked up quickly when I heard a knock on the study door.

"Come in," Amelia called out.

"Princess Amelia, Lady Rebecca, I have something to deliver," a servant said as he bowed, holding what appeared to be a letter in his hand.

"Alright," Amelia said as she held out her hand in anticipation.

"Actually, it is for the Lady Rebecca," the man said as he turned towards me.

"Oh," Amelia said, obviously surprised and looked to me, giving me a quick smile. "Do you think it is from your family?"

"That must be it," I said, my face spreading into a giddy grin, lightening my mood.