From Protector To Lady Chapter 13

We arrived back at the palace in the late afternoon, the sun low in the sky. After dismounting our horses and handing them over to the stable hand, we slowly began walking back to the inner keeps.

"Rebecca," Stanton spoke quietly, the first word he had uttered in a long stretch of time.

"Yes?" I asked, my voice gentle.

"I am sorry for today. I had planned on it being a distraction, but I fear it only added to the stress that has been laid upon you," he said as he shook his head, his blonde hair blowing slightly in the wind.

"Nonsense. I have experienced much worse. I enjoyed myself and I thank you," I reassured quickly.

     Even though it was not at all how I had planned on spending my time, I do not regret making the choice to accompany him. It was amazing to get to see life of another village, the structure and inner workings of things.

"I have a hard time believing you, but I will not press it any farther," he concluded. "I have some errands I must attend to, so I will take my leave now. Please do have a good evening, Rebecca," he spoke, his blue eyes catching my gaze easily, holding me there.

I nodded, "Thank you."

     I watched as he quickly turned and walked through the garden, disappearing from sight. I had not noticed we had reached an entrance inside yet, I had been so wrapped in my thoughts, and I could not understand why I was disappointed the night was over.

     As I began making preparations for bed that night, I was surprised to see a small letter sitting upon my pillow. Opening it with haste, I quickly read it.

Dear Rebecca,

I am writing you with the good news that your brother is recovering. It is a slow journey, but he is conscious and much like his usual self.

The doctor has recommended a daily vitamin to help keep his bones strong, hoping that it will help his healing process. It is still very unclear if he will ever walk again but your parents are ecstatic with the good progress so far.

He wishes for me to tell you that he loves you and hopes you are enjoying your time away and that you should not worry for him.

I am sorry this is so short, but I have many things I must tend to. I will write more when I can.

-Roy

    I smiled reading the letter, my heart lightened greatly as I took relief in the words. My brother was healing. He will be okay. Young and resilient as he is, he will become healthy again.

    I started slightly when I heard a sharp knock on the door. Putting the letter down and quickly shuffling over to the door, I opened it to see Philip standing on the other side.

"Lady Rebecca," he said with a slight bow, wearing a large grin.

"Prince Philip, do you need something?" I asked, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Yes, actually I do. I must ask something of you."

"What might it be?"

"There is a ball coming up in a fortnight. I was wondering if you would like to accompany me?" He asked, his eyes excited.

"Oh. I did not know there was a ball coming," I spoke quietly, trying to think of a way to politely refuse. Balls were not something I planned on ever becoming a part of.

"The news will be out tomorrow," he replied quickly.

"It is wonderful of you to ask me, Philip, but I don't think I will be attending," I spoke as gently as I could.