From Protector To Lady Chapter 11

It has been six days since I got the letter bearing the news of my brother. The time has dragged on as I have been waiting for another letter to arrive, containing more news, some of which was hopefully positive.

     I kept myself busy by doing any task I possibly could, even if it meant doing something such as I was now, which was pruning the flowers in the beautiful garden; a task which was certainly not meant for me, but one I volunteered to do so gladly. The garden was absolutely stunning and it occupied my hands and helped keep my mind at ease.

"Now why, pray tell me, are you playing in the dirt?" I heard a sly voice ask from behind me.

I turned with a small grin on my face, "You would say that, you child."

"I am not the one playing with the bugs, my lady," Philip said as he plucked a bright purple orchid by the stem.

"It keeps me busy, so I do it gladly," I said as I turned back to the flowers, picking the dead ones off so new beautiful ones could sprout.

"It is a sight to see, that is for sure. A beautiful woman in a garden filled with equally attractive flowers," he said smoothly. I looked back to him and raised my eyebrow in skepticism.

"Smooth words, my prince. But you know they are wasted when used on me," I said, shaking my head slightly.

"So I have been told," he said as he reached a hand up and lightly tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear, making me flinch. His lips curved into a smirk as he tucked the orchid carefully behind my ear. "It compliments your eyes tremendously," he said as he gazed at me, the intensity of his stare unnerving me.

"There is nothing so special about them," I said as I turned around and began my pickings again, hoping to discourage the man from anything else he may be thinking of doing. His advancement was not something I wanted. I had no interest in the prince and I hoped he did not have any interest either.

"You cannot tell me you truly believe that," he said as he gently pulled on my elbow, turning my body so I was facing him.

"Of course I do. It is a silly thing to say, I have never been complimented on them before," I scoffed, wishing he would stop looking at me the way he was with his green eyes.

"You mean to tell me that no men in Rillanon showered you with affection, as they should have?" he asked, his hand still holding my elbow.

"No, they did not and I am happy for it," I said, gently pulling my arm from his grasp and crossing them in front of my chest.

"That is foolish. You are a beautiful woman, Rebecca, and I dare say you will be getting plenty of male attention here," he said with a smirk.

"Please," I snorted in amusement. "If that is so, then I fear many men will be wasting their time." I grinned evilly.

"We will have to see about that, now won't we," he said, his eyes alight with a curious glint.

"I suppose there will be nothing to see," I shook my head and turned around, once again trying to focus on the task ahead of me.

I heard the prince make a sound of annoyance from behind me before speaking again.

"As much as I do not wish to cut our time together short, I'll be making my leave now. Have a wonderful afternoon, Rebecca," he spoke quietly and I did not turn to face him. I jumped slightly as I felt a feather light touch run across the length of my shoulders as he passed by.

I shook my head as I groaned in frustration. I wished the prince would realize that there will not be any male who will grab my attention. Foolish man.