From Protector to Lady Chapter 33

Here is the next chapter. :^)

Please let me know your thoughts! Don't forget to comment and vote.

<3

-------

"I think Crimson, like the turning leaves," I said as I gently fingered the fine silken fabric. Jahnai and I had taken a trip to the seamstress in Tarantsmo.

The King had announced that the annual autumnal ball would take place in a fortnight and I decided upon having a gown made especially for the occasion.

"A fabulous choice," said the seamstress, whose name I'd learned was Laura. She was an older woman with graying brunette hair and soft green eyes. "I will have it delivered to your manor upon completion."

"Thank you, is there anything else you need of me?" I asked as I grabbed a small leather pouch filled with coin.

"No, Duchess," the woman shook her head, putting away the tape she had used to record my measurements.

"Here, take this for compensation," I said, handing the pouch over.

"No, I couldn't, it is my honor, ma'am," she said, holding her hands up.

"Please, I insist," I smiled, handing the pouch over to her, smiling as she accepted it.

"Many thanks, Duchess. You are very generous," she smiled, holding the pouch to her chest. Just that morning I had asked Stanton for coin to pay the woman. He informed me as to where in the manor a portion of our wealth was kept. I did not inquire on how much had been bestowed to him upon inheriting the duchy, I did not want to know.

"Please, call me Rebecca. I cannot wait to see the gown," I said as I nodded in thanks as Jahnai and I left the seamstress shop. It was a quaint little building nestled right in the heart of Tarantsmo.

"I cannot wait - I have never been to an annual royal ball before," Jahnai gushed.

"Yes, I so look forward to the corset that will be waiting for me," I whined.

"You have to be used to it by now, the lady life," she said as she playfully jabbed my side with her elbow.

"Gowns, yes. Corsets, never. Say, I have a question for you. Don't feel obliged to agree but I do hope you'll consider," I said as I looked at her, her blue eyes shining in the sunlight. She was a stunning young woman - pale blonde hair, porcelain skin and bright blue eyes. Why Joseph ever felt the need to turn to another woman would never be understood.

"Oh, and what is it?" She asked, her lips pursed in curiosity.

"What would you say to living in Tarantsmo permanently? Now I know your father is in Rillanon but wouldn't it be a great escape? A brand new beginning. You could live with my parents I'm sure of it or you could even stay in the manor I'm sure Stanton wouldn't mind. Won't you consider it?"

"I must say, the idea is rather enchanting...of course I must talk it over with my father but I dare say I would like to give it a try," she smiled. "It will be nice to be able to walk the town and not have girls our age whispering in each others ears as I walk by, gossiping of the scandal."

"Precisely, start fresh and leave that ache behind you."

***

"I told you...that this...would be miserable," I heaved as Jahani pulled the strings of my corset.

"Stop whining. You want to look presentable, do you not?" She chided.

We had arrived at the castle late yesterday afternoon. Stanton, Jahnai and I had made the travels from Tarantsmo to the King's home. We were roomed in the guest wing with all of the other guests of court and nobility. I was hoping to be able to meet with Amelia but she was nowhere to be found. Surely she will be present tonight at the ball.