From Protector To Lady Chapter 8

"Widen your stance, your balance will be much easier to maintain," I said as I watched Philip practice his thrusts and slices in the air.

"This is ridiculous, I am not even going against an opponent," he mumbled.

"And if you were to go against an opponent as you are now, you would surely lose," I chided. "Your footwork is extremely important, I cannot stress that enough."

He did not reply, just grumbled as he continued his practice.

"Eventually I will let you spar against me for practice," I said absently.

"What?!" He asked, outraged, as he stopped his movements and stood there, bewildered.

"Is something wrong?"

"I cannot duel with you! You are a woman, in a gown, and...I could not do that," he explained.

"Oh please, Philip. I would train with many men back in Rillanon. It is not something I am unfamiliar with. And as for wearing gowns...I do have a remedy for that. From now on I believe I'll wear my old slacks to training," I stated, lightly.

"If you insist," he said, shaking his head and holding his wooden sword up again.

"Do not fret, poor prince, I will go easy on you at first," I retorted with a smile. I let out a hearty laugh when I heard him snort in a reply.

I sighed as I looked to the sun, my spirits high. It was a lovely day and training with the prince was something that was an enjoyable way to pass the time.

I returned my glance to him when I heard him swear in frustration.

"Blasted sword! This is an impossible task! I feel a fool," he said as he looked at me.

"What seems to be the problem?" I asked, stepping towards him.

"You speak as if the sword is to be an extension from my arm, but it just feels awkward and hurts my wrist," he said as he held out his sword to me. "I am finished for today."

"Nonsense. You just need to adjust your grip on the hilt," I said as I walked up to him. I used my fingers to pry his hand loose.

"First of all, relax your grip. If you hold it with all your might, it is bound to become tiresome, is it not?"

I then took his hand and slid it up farther on the hilt.

"There, this is where you hand should be. Keep your fingers slightly relaxed," I said as I wrapped his fingers loosely around the sword.

I looked up to him and saw that his face held an odd expression, his eyes intense as he looked from my face to my hand, which was still wrapped around his. I instantly felt my cheeks heat up and dropped my hand, now embarrassed by the contact.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"You're very welcome. But I must take my leave now," I spoke, frazzled.

"What? But why? It's early in the evening yet," he said as he stepped forward and grabbed my wrist lightly, causing me to back up involuntarily.

"I'm sorry, I must see to some needs. We will continue this another day, goodbye, Philip," I said as I quickly turned and began walking back towards the palace. My mind was screaming at me. How could I have been so foolish? I could not let any sort of intimacy form between the prince and I.

I slammed the door to my chamber shut upon my arrival, jumping when I saw a figure resting on my bed.

"Amelia?" I asked as I took in her state. Her hair was a tangled mess, her eyes puffy and red with moisture.