Chapter 23

** Rossi's POV **

JJ has grown so much in the years that I've known her, it's been a privilege to watch her progress throughout the her time with the FBI. Now, Aaron's pushing her to become a profiler. I'm guessing it's his way to get at Erin. She won't be leaving us anytime soon.

"So, what do we know about the unsub?" JJ asked.

"Definitely male, females don't kill in such brutal ways and probably isn't likely to have the physical strength to pull this off."

"So a male unsub with an axe to grind against the DC elite. Would you say late twenties to thirties?" JJ said.

"Good observation, JJ. He is most likely in the prime of his life, with this kind of aggression and strength. We should start looking at all of the people that the targets have interacted with, and look for any overlaps." I said, proud of how hard she's working.

"I'll get Penelope Garcia." Erin said and left the room.

Without her, I turned to JJ. "So how are you really doing?"

She looked slightly taken aback by the question but still answers. "Good. Honestly. Emily's moving in with me, and I'm back doing what I love."

I truly admire her devotion to her job, to the team, to her family. This team won't work without her. Strauss came back from talking to Garcia.

"Garcia cross referenced all of their contacts, she got a few names. First of all, we have Francis Desmond, he was a businessman working in the DC area but he lost his job a couple of months back due to a media scandal. Then we have Nial Reeves, early thirties, he had run-ins with all of the men, and has a juvenile record for assault."

"That sounds like our unsub."

JJ left to call Aaron, and I went to talk to Erin.

"Erin, how are you doing?" I asked cheerfully, we had a bit of a past together.

"Dave, what do you want?"

"Why are you here for this case? You haven't helped us solve cases before."

"It's a high profile case that needs to be sold quickly. Accept the help."

"And how do you think JJ's getting on, coming back so soon?"

"She's doing good work, she's a real asset to your team." Erin said truthfully.

"Let's keep it that way." I said, walking out of the room.

** JJ's POV **

"Hotch, we think we've got the unsub, his name is Nial Reeves. He's got a juvie record for assault and he's come into contact with all the victims. Garcia's sent the address."

"Thanks, JJ. Good work."

It feels nice to be appreciated now and again, and I allowed myself to smile. Strauss came from her office and gestured for me to talk to her.

"Agent Jareau, may I speak with you for a moment?"

"Ma'am, is everything alright?" I asked.

"Agent Jareau, have a seat. How are you feeling?"

"Good thank you. With all due respect, what is this about?"

"You've done some exceptional work during your time here. But you've never thought about becoming a profiler?"

"Ma'am, I admire what the rest of the team does, but I like my role, I like being the go between, the person that the families and the detectives can turn to."

"Would you be open to joining the team as a profiler? You've shown yourself proficient with a firearm on many occasions and you are a comfortable fit with them."

"Ma'am, why would you like me to become a profiler?"

"Because you have potential, as proven today. At least, would you think about it?"

Feeling slightly uncomfortable, I agreed and stood up to leave.

"Oh, and Agent, can we keep this between us for now?"

"Of course, Ma'am. Thank you."

I left in deep thought, not paying attention to where I was going and I didn't see Emily walk up to me.

"Hey, Jayje, we caught the unsub. Turns out he had created his own hit list over time and was working his way down it. He surrendered without fight and is now in custody. Shall we go home?"

"That's great, Em. Yeah, let's go." I replied,.

Emily saw something in my eyes. "Is there something you want to tell me?"

"Not here. Let's go." I pulled her toward her car and she drove home, stealing glances every now and again.

"It's Strauss."

That's all I said but Emily locked the car doors and turned to face me.

"Spill."

"So Strauss talked to me when you were all in the field. She's pushing for me to become a profiler."

"Wow, I wasn't expecting that."

"I know, I don't want to become a profiler, but if I don't take the classes, would she decide to replace me with another profiler?"

Emily kissed me gently and took my hand. "Strauss has a game plan, and we don't know where she's going with it, but this is huge. If she's pushing you to be a profiler, then she has plans for this team."

"But what if she wants me to replace one of you? I won't be that person, Em."

"We need to say something to Hotch." Emily started to say.

"No, we can't. Strauss specifically said not to tell anyone. I shouldn't have told you either."

"Well, I'm glad you did. I've had enough lies to last a lifetime."

I laughed in agreement. Somehow, she always puts a smile on my face.

"We'd better go inside, I for one am starving."

Emily unlocked the door and I opened the front door, spotting an envelope on the floor.
Emily Prentiss.

It said on the front in loopy handwriting. I handed it to Emily as she walked in behind me and there was a slight hesitation, a hint of recognition.

"You know who it is?" I asked.

"If I'm not mistaken, it's my friend Anna. Only I haven't heard from her since she left Georgetown. But how did she know I was here? And what is she writing to me for?" Emily questioned, and I raised an eyebrow in response.

"I guess we'll find out."

A/N

So I'm going to introduce Anna, but I don't know if I should include Russian or not (I only have a basic understanding of Russian. Let me know what you think. Also, I'm not updating for a while because I have a 5000 word essay to write, but I'll do my best to update again as soon as I can.

Saffron xo