Chapter 18

** Morgan's POV **

I sped to the hospital as soon as Hotch called me. 

"Cortez, I gotta run. I'll let you know what's going on, can you cover?"

"Sure, just stay safe."

"Thanks." 

As I put my phone away, I started to  think of the team. I was still trying to come up with a way to get back at Erin for agreeing the transfer. She went above Hotch to push it, even though we tried hard to resist the changes. SWAT was a good fit for me, I'll admit, but I preferred working with my team, solving cases and catching serial killers. 

I walked to JJ's room, and saw Emily sitting in the chair, her head in her lap.

"Prentiss?"

"Oh my god, Derek." She ran to me and I pulled her to my chest.

"What's going on? Hotch said she woke up."

"She did, she has, but she's resting now. But Derek, she's got retrograde amnesia, and they don't know if it's permanent or not. She doesn't know who any of us are."

My heart sank but I knew there would be complications. I mean, she was in an induced coma for a month.

"Emily, I think she just needs time."

Emily wiped her eyes and nodded. "Hotch has given me time away. For now. No doubt Strauss will be on to it though. Looking for my replacement next."

"Ignore Strauss, JJ needs you. She needs all of us. Where's the rest of the team?"

"Oh they're on a case in New Mexico. Roswell, I think."

"Can I take a look at the file?"

She pulled a brown file from her bag and handed it over as I took a seat beside her.

"So how's SWAT treating you?"

"It's not the BAU, I'll give you that. It's alright, I guess. But I miss the job. This is where I belong. How's Elle doing?"

(Yes Elle replaced Morgan in this story, sorry! XO) 

"Oh, she's proving herself. Our last case, she talked the unsub down from jumping off a roof to his death. That girl has speech skills, I'll say."

"So things are alright at the BAU?"

"Morgan, nothing's alright. Elle's nice, but she's not you. She's a good agent, but she's not the strong, Derek Morgan that keeps the team safe. Garcia's losing it day by day. First you, now this. I don't think it's going to last, the BAU, if it goes on for much longer. There's been rumors of replacing JJ now she's in hospital."

I was getting angry at Strauss again. "She can't do that. JJ's an essential member of the team, handling all the press and the pressure and the calls and everything, you cannot replace her."

"Strauss was suggesting scrapping that position and bringing in another profiler. You know Ashley from the Academy? She's graduating soon and Strauss has her eye on her."

"But Ashley's not a profiler. She's only just finishing her training. And she can't get rid of JJ's position. It's a pivotal role."

"Morgan, we can't change that. You know we can't."

I sighed and nodded, because I know she's right. Strauss is a determined, influential woman with a lot of support behind her. It's going to take a lot to stop her making decisions.

"I have to get back to work, please let me know when she wakes up. I still care about her, Em."

"I will. Bye, Derek."