Chapter 22

** Emily's POV **

I got a message from Derek the next morning.

Emily, I'm sorry about earlier. I was angry at the start, but I talked to JJ and we're cool. Missing my best friend.

Morgan

I smiled and sent him two happy faces. I'm glad we were able to stay friends, because I hate fighting with my family. Then I drove to the hospital with a big grin on my face. JJ's being discharged today.

"Morning, beautiful, ready to go?" I asked as I slipped into her room.

She was wearing a simple white blouse and black pants.

"Wow, you look hot. Where you heading?" I joked.

"Home, and then work."

"Whoa whoa whoa, you are not going to work."

She protested as we walked outside to my car.

"You need longer to rest, Jayje."

"I'm fine, Em, honestly."

"Well I guess you need to talk to Hotch then."  

"Won't that be fun." She rolled her eyes as I pulled out onto the road.

I drove her to my apartment without thinking, and she raised an eyebrow as I stopped the car.

"Emily, I need to go to my house." She laughed.

"I did it by mistake. But maybe you should move in, if you want." I probed.

"Em, please, if you were to move in, you should move to my place, it's bigger."

We both laughed as I headed to her house, which wasn't that far away. When she got home, she went straight to her bedroom as I looked round downstairs. I've been here countless numbers of times, but never really properly looked. I didn't hear her come back downstairs.

"You know, I'd love for you to stay." She said lightly.

"Really?"

"Yeah, why not? You spend so much time over here anyway, why don't you move in with me? Spend even more time with me." She winked and slipped an arm over my shoulder.

"Okay then." I agreed and she pressed her lips against mine.

"Right, well we need to go back to yours now, and get you moved in." She pulled me toward the door.

"Now who's taking charge." I said.

"You like it when I take charge." She retorted.

I giggled as I got in the car and drove, and couldn't stop by the time we'd stopped at my apartment.

"Want to prove it?" I said as I unlocked my door.

She didn't hesitate to grab my hand as soon as we got inside, we didn't even make it to the bedroom. Her hands outlined my body and I unbuttoned her blouse. She hesitated, clearly worried about her scars, but I ignored them and licked her stomach up to her neck. She rolled over so that I was lying flat on the floor and she took off my top.

"Oh, JJ." I couldn't help as she kissed my skin.

Her hands were like magic, working their way down my body to my waist. She was unbuttoning my pants when my phone rang.

"Dammit, it's Hotch." I got up to answer it.

JJ waited until I ended the call before grabbing me from behind. It was so hard to resist but I had to.

"Jayje, it's work. There's a new case, and Hotch wants everyone possible in."

"Can I come?" She asked and I shrugged.

"I'm sure he won't object."

We drove to the BAU and JJ took a deep breath before getting out of the car.

"Emily, I don't know if I'm ready for this." She said.

"Jayje, look at me. You are ready, and you want to go to work. If it gets too much, then I'm here for you. I promise." I took her hand and she squeezed it tightly.

"Let's do this."

** JJ's POV **

We walked in together, our fingers still interlocked. Agents stared as we walked to the elevator, not letting go. I took a moment to breath in the elevator as it moved up to level 6, am I ready for this?

There was no turning back because the doors opened and I was met by cheering from the entire floor who had gathered outside the elevator.

"Wow, hi everyone." I said shyly.

"I hoped you won't mind, I texted ahead." Emily explained.

Reid was holding a stack of books with a red ribbon. "Glad you're back. Thought you might enjoy these whenever you're feeling idle." He said, hugging me and handing me the books.

"Elle Greenaway, I've heard so much about you." The woman from Emily's photograph came to shake my hand.

"Sorry to break it up, but we have a case." Hotch said, making his way through the crowd. 

We followed him to the briefing room, where Garcia, Rossi and Chief Strauss were already waiting.

"Agent Jareau, it's good to have you back." Strauss said. "However you know the procedure. You will remain on desk duty until your physical evaluation." 

"Yes, Ma'am. I just came to help."

There was something off when Strauss said that, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Instead, I decided to pay attention to the case.

"So, we have an unsub targeting members of the DC elite and their families, and unfortunately, they're only getting started." Garcia said.

"They're staged like home invasions, with the families bound, gagged and stabbed once, whilst the businessmen have their throats slashed with multiple stab wounds and lacerations." Reid observed.

"That suggests rage towards the DC elite, with the brutality of the murders. Clearly overkill." I contributed and saw Emily and Hotch share a look. "What, I pay attention to the briefings." I added.

Emily gave me a pat on the thigh and I smiled.

"Alright, Emily and Reid, go to the latest crime scene. Elle and I will look talk to the extended families of the victims, and JJ, you can help Rossi and Erin work on a preliminary profile."

"But Hotch, I don't profile." I protested.

"It's a start." He replied with a smile.

The first time I'd ever seen him smile.