Chapter 3

** JJ's POV **

Hotch called us all into the briefing room early in the morning. I'd only just grabbed my morning coffee as we gathered around the table.

"This case came directly to me from an old colleague of mine back in New York. There's been a recent spike in homicides around the Manhattan area, and she believes that they're all hate crimes committed by the same unsub, or group of unsubs."

"Statistically, New York City is one of the most prominent cities with LGBT culture in the country. Same-sex marriage was legalized in 2011 and there are a large number of gay communities particularly in Queens and Manhattan. And from 2005, over 200 thousand people in New York City alone identify as homosexual or bisexual." Reid said.

"Are the victims homosexual?" I asked, feeling slightly light headed as I looked at the crime scene photos.

"I'm looking into that now." Garcia said, her fingers darting around the keyboard. "The first victim was a 30 year old single female, she was a fitness instructor who grew up in Brooklyn, and was found with multiple stab wounds. She doesn't appear to be gay, as she doesn't have any social media accounts, apart from her work profile. However the following two victims were both lesbian and active in their respective communities. Still working on the following two vics."

"Jayje, are you okay?" Emily questioned as I stood up suddenly.

"Yeah, fine, I just need the bathroom. Excuse me."

I half-walked, half-ran to the bathroom and threw up straight away. I've never told anyone that I wasn't straight, because I've always been scared of being rejected by my friends like I was by my parents. My thoughts were then interrupted by the sound of loud footsteps. I wiped my eyes and flushed the toilet as Emily walked in.

"Hey, Jayje, what's going on?"

"What do you mean?" I was a little too defensive.

"Come on, something's bothering you. You can tell me, it's okay."

"Look, nothing's wrong, just drop it, okay? I'm just tired from last night." I shouted and stormed out of the bathroom.

Great, I just screwed up our relationship. I've always loved Emily, ever since she started at the BAU. At first, I thought it was just like a friendship, but then I started wanting more. It's harder to control when it's just the two of us, so I hardly go out now. I prefer going out with the whole team so I can hide my feelings, bury them deep within myself.

** Emily's POV **

"Look, nothing's wrong, just drop it, okay? I'm just tired from last night." She shouted.

Wow, all I did was ask how she was. I'm worried about JJ. I've never seen her like this, so touchy and nervous. She's always been so strong, holding us all together. It hurts to watch her break down like this, but I know better than to probe into her personal life.

On the jet, she sat at the back by herself, poring over the case file. I could tell that she was thinking about something, she didn't turn the page throughout the flight. I want to know what's on her mind because I want to help her. I don't want to see her in pain like this.