Underestimated

------------------------------

Chapter Sixty-Two

-Underestimated-

When we were all ready and Robbo wasn't in that god forsaken Elvis costume any more, we decided to go check out the cherry farm.

"What are you doing?" Taylor asked me as I opened the door to his car.

"Going to Trent's?" I looked at him wide eyed, not sure if I'd missed something.

"Yeah, next door?" Taylor stared at me like I was weird.

"Yeah, fifteen kilometres next door?" we were stuck in this strange question asking awkwardness.

"Fifteen kilometres?" Taylor demanded and I nodded.

"And that's just a straight line across," I pointed to the vague direction the farm would be in. "At a casual pace it would be about three hours to walk there down the driveways and road."

"Why are they so far away?" Taylor demanded and god bless his heart, he was such a city boy in that moment.

"Because it's the country?" I got back to the weird awkward answer questions with questions thing. "That's what we do. We live far apart."

"Oh," Taylor nodded slowly, taking it all in.

"Yeah," I nodded with him.

"You have no idea, do you Taylor?" Kathy laughed, opening the back door and slipping into the car.

"Apparently not," He laughed, slipping his sunglasses on as he rounded the car.

As we got down to the end of the drive way and then to the entrance of Cherry Hill Farm, Taylor glanced at me cautiously. "I underestimated," he murmured and I laughed.

"Their driveway up to the main house is about seven kilometres," I told him and Taylor pulled a face.

"Greatly underestimated," He corrected himself.

On the weekends, Steve and Lynn normally hosted family activities and cherry picking; it was a cheap way to get their produce out to the locals, while giving out-of-towners an experience as well.

Further on from the main house they had cabins and barbeque areas, just for the townies, that came out of the city for the weekend farm life thing city people do. Many times my family had ended up on the land right next to ours, wasted summer days picking cherries, before firing up the barbeque for dinner and spending it with our hosts.

"This place is rad," Robbo muttered. "Can we just like, eat those cherries?" he asked, gesturing to the trees.

"What else would you do with them?" Kathy asked and Robbo rolled his eyes. Taylor smirked at me in the front as I grinned at them all.

"Don't they spray these things with like gases and pesticides and crap. I don't want to die," Jake frowned at her.

"It's a cherry picking farm," Kathy frowned back at him. "Why would they poison the food they're trying to get you to pick?" Robbo and Jake both studied her for a moment and then looked back out the window.

"Yeah, I suppose that sounds right." Robbo muttered as Jake nodded to himself and Kathy and I made eye contact as we laughed at them just as Taylor came to a stop.

I stepped out the car and spotted Lynn straight away. She grinned at me as she stepped down from the ladder she was currently on, picking cherries. She was in her usual brown shorts, red checkered shirt and dusty, dirty boots.

"Lucy?" She asked with wide eyes that told me I was welcome, just unexpected.

"Hi Lynn, in town for the karaoke festival with some friends and thought we'd stop by to fill in some time," I told her gesturing to the boys and Kathy as they stood around the car.