What's The Catch?

Chapter Eight
-What's The Catch?-

Taylor insisted that we go out for dinner that night as an official couple. I walked out of the gym after my second and final day of training and made the quick walk home to find the room empty. Kathy was either being spanked by her mysterious footballer or she was probably at a study group at the library. I peeled the black polo shirt off my torso and threw it on the bed as I changed from work to play by adding a caramel knit jumper that came down over my leggings. I was pulling off my runners when Taylor knocked at the door. With one foot still in the shoe and the other only covered by a sock, I hobbled across the room to open the door. Taylor looked me up and down and stopped at my feet.

"Hobo look?" He asked, and I glared at him.

"I'm just changing from work, butthole," I informed him, turning around to grab the shoes I was about to put on.

"Flats?" He asked and I peered over my shoulder to look at him.

"Yes?" I questioned and he shrugged.

"Just have a thing for heels, is all," He smirked, and I rolled my eyes.

"Well, I have a thing for not being a cripple tomorrow," I told him, and he laughed.

"Aren't you here to please me, exclusively?" He asked, his brown eyes shining in mischief.

"No, you're here to figure out that girls own the pants in most relationships and after they sink their hooks in, the heels come off and the flats go on," I informed him, slipping off my socks.

"So, I was right. You girls are mostly just conniving bitches?" He asked and I shrugged slipping my shoes on.

"Yeah, but our boobs should make up for it, mostly," I murmured and he gave me an amused grin. "That's why they're there."

"All makes sense now," He nodded to himself. "You ready?" He asked as I stood up and I nodded, grabbing my bag.

"Lead away, boyfriend," I gestured towards the door.

Over dinner, I started mulling over the situation we were in.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked as I sipped my wine.

"Just did," He stated, glancing up at me from his steak with half a smirk.

"Funny." I gave him a look and he shrugged, looking pleased with himself. "Why me?" I asked and he looked up at me for the second time, but a stonier look on his face.

"What do you mean?" He asked and I shrugged.

"You could and have pretty much, had every girl on this campus. Why choose the one you have no intention of hooking up with?" I asked and he looked at me for a long moment before cutting a cube of meat and putting it in his mouth. Having finished my fish, I sat back with my chilled wine and waited for his answer.

"I'm not sure," He stated honestly, finally looking back up at me. "Maybe, because the other girls aren't girlfriend material, they wouldn't take it so seriously. They would probably see it as a way to get under me in bed for two weeks exclusively with minimal effort. It would also probably confuse the situation." Anyone else saying those words would probably just be being arrogant. Taylor looked up at me with honesty and acceptance on his face. "I don't have girlfriends, because I don't trust easily and the closest thing I can give a girl is a second round in the sack, if she's good enough. You haven't and don't want to see that side of me. The only real thing I know about relationships is that friendship should be in there somewhere and you're my friend."

I stared at him and couldn't help the platonic affection that rose up in me. For everything I teased Taylor about, I couldn't ignore how honest he was. He had been honest from the first moment we'd spoken when he said 'the girls know what they're getting into when they start flirting back with me.' He wasn't a player in the sense that he didn't lead girls on; he didn't promise them anything other than what he knew he could give them. That was mostly only a physical release, he may not come back a second time for. He may have been screwed up when it came to relationships with girls, but at least he knew it. Jake wouldn't even admit he had a problem when it came to Milly. He just thought he could play it out and ignore it all after it. Taylor sat there and slammed the issues on the table and presented them to you as they were. He didn't dress them up and pretend they were something else.