You Look Like A Babe

Thank you to Aviana Monae for the awesome cover. Love your work.

-------------------------------

Chapter Twenty
-You Look Like A Babe-

A horrid, persistent, shrill noise barged its way through my sleep and I lifted my head to crush whatever object was making the devil noise. I looked at the clock and it said three thirty. Three thirty in the god damn devil morning. What the actual fuck. I groaned and slumped back into the comfort of my bed. In my current state, I couldn't comprehend why on earth I would set my alarm for three fucking thirty in the morning so I just didn't. Half way back to sleep, the door to my room slammed open and I knew who was standing there.
"Fuck you," I called out, snuggling under my doona to really cocoon myself in there.
"If that's how you want me to wake you up completely, I'm willing." I could literally hear his devil face morphing into a devil smirk.
"I hate you," I told him. "Touch me and I'll stab you."
"If you're not up in two minutes, you'll be getting stabbed with something, I promise you," Taylor warned and I groaned completely unlady like.
"You're an asshole," I murmured, forcing myself sit up, still wrapped up in the warm blankets.
"Anyone ever tell you, you swear like a sailor on leave?" Taylor asked, handing me a mug of coffee. It wasn't café coffee... but it was enough... for now.
"Only when I'm woken up at three fucking thirty in the fucking morning, and when I'm drunk... or hungry." He chuckled to himself as he grabbed my pre-packed bag from the floor and reached around me to grab my pillow that I was going to smother him with when I finally woke up. He left me in the room as he took it down to... the car? Were we taking a car? I'd never seen Taylor drive around campus. We got Taxi's or walked. Did he even have a licence? I pondered all the things I didn't know about my supposed boyfriend while I waited for him to come back. When he presented himself in the doorway I looked up and studied him.
"What colour are your favourite underwear?" I asked and his eyes widened in surprise.
"What?" He demanded and looked thoroughly confused. I sipped my coffee and waited patiently for him to reply. "Uh, green. I guess?" He stammered finally and I nodded to myself.
"Excellent," I murmured, standing up from the bed and pushing my coffee into his hands. I absentmindedly stripped off my sleeping shirt and grabbed a bra from the closet to wear. I turned on my heel and Taylor was watching my every move. "Oh, that's right," I sighed. "Turn around or something," I told him, waving my hand at him.
"I ain't going anywhere," He told me, smirking. "Watching you dress is almost as fun as watching you undress." I rolled my eyes and continued dressing for the day. I decided on little denim shorts and a tank top with a hoodie over the top. It was comfortable enough for driving, but looked good enough for when we arrived. Giving zero fucks about anything else, I grabbed my make-up pouch and put it in my bag to do later and threw my hair up into a messy bun. I grabbed my phone and sunglasses from the bedside table and turned to face Taylor.
"You say one word about my appearance and I'll find a way to separate you from your man parts," I warned him and he snorted at me in amusement.
"You look like a babe," He promised me and I rolled my eyes at him.
"Whatever, let's blow this popsicle stand," I sighed and followed him out the room.

Apparently Taylor had both a current drivers licence with a photo that made him look like a thug and a cute little red Volkswagen that had been his graduation, going away, get out of my house present from his parents. I had had to threaten to key his leather seats if we didn't go past a McDonalds for a semi-decent coffee. He didn't respond to that very well and my wish was granted. Hot coffee in hand, I nuzzled back into the seat and watched Taylor drive. He was in board shorts and a t-shirt with wayfarers perched on his head. Something was different. He seemed a little more... effortless.
"So be fair," I sighed and took a sip of my coffee. "What are you taking me in too?" I asked and he chuckled.
"Nothing too scary, buttercup. Promise."
"Yeah, right," I snorted. "These are the people who produced you. Don't sugar coat it," I laughed.
"Fine. My dad works high up in a bank, so he can be a bit intense. My mum is a stay at home and is an angel," He told me. I studied him for a moment, not sure what to make of an 'intense' man and an 'angel' woman.
"Okay, siblings?" I asked.
"Younger sister that is gagging at the bit for freedom and an older brother who is the perfect first child," He replied casually.
"Where do you fit in with the intense dad and angelic mother, who have a perfect son and rebellious daughter?" I asked slowly and watched his face darken for a moment as he thought about it.
"I'm the fuck up," He murmured and then cleared his throat. "Simon was always serious and has been ready to follow in dad's corporate footsteps since he was eleven. Juliet is the complete princess package, high maintance since her first breath. I was the one always in trouble for something. If I wasn't sitting still with my mouth shut, I was embarrassing everybody." I hated the tone of his voice and I wanted to hit him for thinking so lowly of himself. "I figured it out by about thirteen that if I don't hang around my family, I can't do everything wrong," He shrugged and I wanted to hug him. He glanced over at me and a smirk appeared. "Wipe that frown of your face, buttercup," He demanded. "Don't tell me now that your family dynamic is perfect."
"I'm an only child," I shrugged. "I guess I didn't have anyone else's standards to live up too." Taylor gave me an amused smirk.
"Lucky you. We won't be going straight to Mum and Dad's place when we get there," He told me. "We'll go to my favourite place for breakfast first. Can't have you tired and hungry and swearing at my parents," He grinned.
"First impressions are important," I nodded, smirking. "Good thinking."

The place he took me to was a small café on water's edge. It was small and seemed a local's secret.
"Taylor Cadley, is that you?" A voice came from behind us as we entered the small hut and I turned to see a woman in black capris and hot pink heels with her blonde piled on her head and bangs covering a face full of makeup. Had she been thirty years younger, she would have been stunning.
"Hey Marcy," Taylor grinned, letting the woman pull him into a hug and then fuss all over him. It was highly amusing. "How you been, hot stuff?" He asked, cheekily and she patted his cheek a little too hard for the sass.
"Calling me hot stuff when you have a girl you walked in with right next you, you dumb shit. I didn't teach you anything, did I?" She demanded and I think I may have fell in love with the woman.
"Everything I need to know without molesting me?" He winked. "Left that pleasure for Tammy." Marcy punched him. Like an actual closed fist, flinched on contact punch that made Taylor laugh as he rubbed his arm.
"I know you didn't just say that," She glared at him and then looked at me. "Run, this boy isn't worth the trouble." I threw my head back and laughed loudly in reply.
"I don't even know who he is; he's been stalking me for a couple months. Taylor, is it? Nice to finally put a name to the face," I held my hand out and he slapped it away, making me grin.
"You," Marcy pointed at me. "You get crispy bacon for that," She told me and Taylor immediately groaned.
"I want crispy bacon!" He protested, childishly and Marcy snorted in amusement as she started going back behind the counter.
"Shouldn't be an asshole then," She told him. "Grab a seat; I'll bring you something soon."

We found a seat and I gave Taylor a unbelieving look.
"Spill," I demanded and he shrugged.
"Not much to tell." He picked up the knife from the modest table setting and twirled it in his fingers. "I tried to stop having anything to do with my family when I was about thirteen and here was the place to be. Her daughter Tammy was in my year at school and we ran in the same circles. Being able to be here kept us out of trouble a lot of the time and Marcy let me work the occasional shift, if I needed money."
"She just acted like your mother," I laughed. "No big deal, my ass."
"She is like that with everyone that comes here regularly," He assured me and as if to prove my point I looked over to see Marcy reach over the counter, snatch a hat off a grown man's head and clip him behind the ears while she was there. The man only gave her a silly grin and continued eating.
"What are we eating?" I asked, having just realised that we hadn't ordered or seen a menu.
"Probably the 'Everything'," Taylor shrugged. "Eggs and bacon, pancakes, muesli cakes. If there is nothing you like on that plate, you have never eaten a breakfast meal in your life."
"Fair enough." I sat back and waited for complete breakfast domination.