Chapter 47- Knee Socks

You got the lights on in the afternoon

And the nights are drawn out long

And you're kissing to cut through the gloom

With a cough drop coloured tongue

And you were sitting in the corner with the coats all piled high

And I thought you might be mine

In a small world on an exceptionally rainy Tuesday night

In the right place and time

“What the fuck was that?” Luke asked angrily as we stood beside the car.

“I was sticking up for myself,” I defended and put my hands on my waist.

“Do you realize what you just did?”

“Enlighten me Luke,” I told him and crossed my arms over my chest.

“You just insulted one of my fans. Do you realize how bad that is? It’s because of them we’ve come as far as we have! Without them I’d be just Luke Hemmings; a socially awkward boy from Sydney. Brooklyn, they mean everything to me,” he explained.

My jaw tightened involuntarily but instead of yelling at him here I saved it. I got into the car with the boys behind me. The driver started the journey to the stadium as he drove I listened to Arctic Monkeys. The boys had many different conversations during the drive but the one that was discussed the longest was one I didn’t care to join.

“That was so bitchy,” I heard Calum say over my music.

“You think she’ll get in trouble for bringing it up?” Ashton asked.

“Let’s hope another Twitter war doesn’t break out,” I heard Luke sigh.

I rolled my eyes but felt a tap on  my knee when the car stopped. Calum said something along the lines of “we’re at the stadium” but I couldn’t hear  him so I wasn’t sure. I followed the boys out of the car and through the front door, passing more fans. Once inside I walked behind as the boys headed towards the dressing room, but I had other plans for Luke. I grabbed his wrist and yanked him into an empty hallway, letting the others walk on.

“What the…” I silenced him by putting my right index finger on his lips.

“Shut up. It’s my turn to talk; not you,” I said and he leant against the opposite wall as me; gesturing for me to continue. I shook my head slightly and slowly as my jaw tightened again, “do you realize how much of a fucking dick you sounded like back there? I get that your fans helped you get here and shit…but don’t you fucking dare tell me fifteen minutes before that I’m your everything then turn around and say that they mean everything to you. But I’m so fucking sick of them being able to send me hate and talk smack about me and nothing being done! I’m sick of having to bite my tongue with them and you taking their side. If you fucking love them so much then just end it with me and date one of them! Because for fuck sake I can’t take another minute of them getting to do whatever the fuck they want and get away with it. I’m not taking their shit any longer Luke and you can either accept that and back me up or I’m gone. Because god knows I’ve missed a lot staying with you,” I seethed at him.

“What the fuck am I supposed to do? A lot of those girls have supported me a lot longer than you have. A lot of those girls know a lot more about me than you do. For fuck sake Brooklyn! If you’re so unhappy here with me then just go home! Seems to me like you don’t want to be here anymore anyway. Those girls out there and back at the studio have helped me and the guys actually get somewhere in life and…”

“But what happens when that’s all over? What happens when they take down your posters and stop listening to your music? What happens when one of them goes too far and you lose someone you really care about because of them? Because right now I’m about ready to walk out of that door and never see or speak to you again. And it’s not just them Luke; it’s you too. You’ve become such a fucking dick these last few weeks and it shits me off so fucking much. It’s because of girls like her that I almost died last year. It’s because of shit like this that my body is covered in cuts and scars. I’m sick of always fighting with you because of them and I’m sick of feeling done with you because of them. So just tell me now…do you still want to be with me or should I just pack my stuff and go home?” I asked; calmer than I had been minutes ago.

We just stared at each other for a while, nothing being spoken. He suddenly pushed himself off the wall and roughly brought his lips against mine. I draped my arms around his neck as we continued the heated kiss. Our hands were all over each other and it was getting pretty heated quite quickly. Luke suddenly stopped and when I opened my eyes I saw him already looking at me.

“What?” I asked.

“I…I have to get to the boys,” he said then walked out of the hall.

Something inside me snapped and I punched the wall opposite me, “you fucking dick!” I screamed then kicked the white wall, leaving a scuffmark from my Dr. Martens.

After I’d kicked and punched the wall a few times I walked into the dressing room, “you look mad,” Mike told me.

“I’m fucking furious and I’m going back to the hotel before I hit someone. Someone with a blonde quiff in particular,” I said noticing Luke wasn’t in the room.

“What’d the dickhead do this time?”

“I’d rather not discuss it right now,” I said then turned to walk out.

“Do you want us to have a word to Luke?” Ashton asked.

“I’d rather have Luke tell your fans to back the fuck off but looks like that’s never going to happen,” I sassed and walked back down the hall.

The hotel was quite a distance away but it’d be better for me to take forever walking there than get there straight away and do something I’d regret. I felt my cuts itching but resisted the urge to scratch them. I was going to deny myself the pain/pleasure I oh so very craved. Maybe I should so the same to Luke.