Chapter 44- Back To December

A/N- this chapter is set on the 30th of August

+++++

I'm so glad you made time to see me.

How's life? Tell me how's your family?

I haven't seen them in a while.

You've been good, busier than ever,

We small talk, work and the weather,

Your guard is up and I know why.

Because the last time you saw me

Is still burned in the back of your mind.

You gave me roses and I left them there to die.

“How are the books?” my grandpa asked with a smile then coughed.

“I’ve read The Fault In Our Stars and Looking For Alaska. I’m currently reading Paper Towns,” I answered with a smile.

“Are they good?”

“I cried reading both of them. Luke got worried,” I laughed.

“I’d like to meet that young man,” he told me and I nod.

“Is now a good time?”

“An excellent time,” he said with a sweet smile.

“Lucas! I need you!” I called out.

“She wants the D,” Michael called.

“I do not. I need to introduce him to someone!” I retaliated.

“What’s up babe?” he asked and I waved him over.

I shuffled over and pat the bed beside, “granddad, this is Luke. Luke, This is my granddad,” I smiled but Luke decided to sit behind me.

“Hello sir. Very nice to meet you,” Luke smiled then rested his chin on my shoulder with his arms around my waist.

“You too. Have you been treating my granddaughter right?”

“Yes sir. I don’t know why she puts up with me though,” he chuckled.

“She usually doesn’t like people. Except me of course,” he laughed then coughed again.

“Of course grandpa,” I smiled.

“Brooklyn honey,” his voice was serious and his face blank of every emotion but sorrow.

“Please don’t tell me something bad. I don’t think I could handle anymore bad news at the moment,” I told him in a worried tone.

“Brooklyn sweetheart. I’m going to pass tonight”

“Please,” I begged. “Please just wait five more weeks then we can say goodbye in person,” I said, tears brimming in my eyes.

“Honey I’m in pain. The only reason I’m alive right now is the breathing tubes”

“I wont get to attend your funeral if you die tonight. Granddad please!” the tears now falling.

“I need you to got to the address I gave you. Do you still have it?”

“Yes. Grandpa please don’t do this to me,” I begged again.

I felt Luke bring my head to his chest so I turned in my spot and wrapped my arms around his waist. I shushed my as he stroked my head and whispered comforting words in my ear.

“I’m going to go Brooke. I love you. I’ll always love you, remember that. And I’ll watch down on you from heaven,” he told with, tears running down his cheeks.

“Please don’t do this! I love you please don’t!” I begged but he ended the call before I could say anything more.

I buried my face back in Luke’s chest and cried hard. He brought me onto his lap and rocked me from side to side; just like when we first met.

“It’s going to be ok baby,” he told me.

“No it’s not,” I mumbled. “Nothing will be ok”

“You’ll always have me. I promise you that,” he whispered then kissed the top of my head.

“Don’t make promises that you can’t keep”

“I’ll try with every fiber of my being to keep this promise. I can definitely promise you that”

“I love you Luke”

“I love you too Brooklyn,” he replied then we fell into silence. “Now I know why you don’t like people calling you Brooke. It’s a name only he can call you”

“He has ever since I was a baby. I only ever answered to Brooke when he called it. When it comes from anyone’s else’s lips I see it as a sin”

“Do you think I could maybe call you Brooke one day?”

“We’ll have to see”

“I’m ok with that. As long as I get to hold you every day then I’m happy”

“You really know how to make a girl feel better; don’t you Hemmings?” I said with a small.

“I try my hardest. Only for you though”

“Maybe Only For You will be our Always,” I said then laughed at my own stupid joke.

“What?” he asked.

“Nothing. Don’t worry about it”