Chapter 7- Different Worlds

I've been,

Out on the ocean.

Sailing alone,

Traveling nowhere.

You've been,

Running on hard ground.

With just you around,

Your heart beats the only sound.

"Good morning sleepy head," Michael smiled sheepishly as I sat up in Luke's bed.

"Is it? Is it really?" I mumbled and flopped onto my back.

"Yes it is," Ashton smiled and sat next to me.

"No it's really not," I replied.

"You're such a downer"

"Get used to it"

"Have you opened the envelope yet?" Calum asked.

"No I haven't," I said then shot off the couch and sprinted to my suitcase.

I pulled the white envelope out of my flannel and unfolded it. I sat back on the couch and rested my feet on Ashton's lap as I pulled out the piece of paper.

Dear Brooklyn

First off, I hope you have an amazing time traveling the world. I've given you this money because I most likely won't be here when you get back. That brings me to the second thing. I have cancer and I don't want to delay the inevitable so I'm not taking chemotherapy. I know you've had trouble finding who you are and I want you to have a piece of information that might help. I didn't tell you about my condition earlier because I wanted you to remember me the way you do now, healthy. You will always be the little girl in the picture I have also put in the envelope. I love you my dear, never forget that.

Love, Pop.

P.S. 24 Wilson Street South Beach, Miami.

I took a shaky breath as I pulled out the picture of my sleeping against my Pop's chest when I was a toddler. A stray tear fell onto my hand and I got up.

"Are you ok?"

"I need a moment," I said barely audible.

I grabbed my phone and locked myself in the cramped bathroom. I dropped to the floor and covered my mouth as I sobbed. I dialed my home number and held my breath as it rang.

"Hello?" I heard dad's voice say through the speaker.

"Is Pop there?" I asked then gulped.

"Yeah, I'll get him for you," he told me then I heard him walking. "Dad it's Brooklyn," I heard him faintly tell her.

"Hey darl"

"Pop why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"I didn't want you to refuse to go"

"How long have you known?"

"Since January"

"Who else knows?"

"Your parents and that's about it"

"Can you put mum on?"

"Sure sweetie"

"Hey hun," she said sadly.

"Mum I want to come home"

"No. No you can't"

"Mum Pop's sick and I want to be there for him"

"He doesn't want you to see him like this"

"I don't care"

"If things get really bad we'll fly you home"

"Mum I..." the phone suddenly cut off. "Mum? Mum!" I said then threw my phone angrily at the wall.

I pulled my knees to my chest and sobbed quietly. After a good five minutes of crying I decided to stop and get ready for the day. I wiped under my eyes and made my way over to my bed.

"You ok?" Luke asked.

"I'd rather not talk about it," I told him the mumbled a few choice words when I remembered I couldn't bring my blades because they were metal and sharp.

I pulled out my blue skinny jeans, my plain black tee shirt and my red and black checked flannel.

"You have a thing for flannels don't you?" Luke chuckled.

"They hide secretes," I said then walked back into the bathroom to shower.

Once I was clean I got dressed up until my shirt, and just looked at my stomach in the mirror. I looked at the cuts and scars all across up until my belly button. I pulled my shirt on then rolled the sleeves a few times because the shirt was baggy then tied the sleeves of my flannel around my waist.

I walked back to my suitcase then slipped on a pair of black socks. I made my way into the lounge room.

"We're going to McDonalds for breakfast. You ok with that?" Ashton asked.

"Sure," I smiled.