1. Rosie

My bed isn't exactly comfortable. It has my blankets and my pillows, but I can tell that it isn't MY bed. Nothing in my room feels like mine now that different walls surround it. Not only that, but there are two other beds anxiously awaiting two other girl's arrival.

I'm not nervous.

Maybe if I tell myself that enough times I will actually believe it. College is supposed to be fun and adventurous. It's supposed to be a time where you get drunk and make mistakes and laugh about it later. Currently, I can't get the silly little knot out of my stomach as I wait cross-legged on my bed for people I've never met before to claim their spots in my, our, new home.

A knock at the door breaks me from my thoughts. I stumble off my bed and hold my breath as I open the door. It takes everything in me to keep my mouth closed as I take in the girl in front of me.

"You must be Jess!" The girl says to me. She's tall, a few inches taller than me and I'm 5'5. She has long dark hair that falls in waves around her face. The ends of them are dyed a rich purple that matches her eye shadow. I can see a tattoo of a clover on the side of her neck with writing that I can't read. I guess this is what I should have expected being one of the few business majors in an almost all arts school. At first, the piercing in her lip grabs my attention, but then her bright green eyes do. There is so much personality in just her eyes that I barley hear what she said to me.

"Oh yeah, Umm Jessi." I hold out my hand for her to shake but she seems to take it as an invitation for a hug.

"Jessi! It's so nice to finally meet you. I'm Avery. We're going to have so much fun.." She rambles on as she carries two big bags into the room and sets them down on the first bed. I had taken the one farthest from the door and closest to the window. I thought that everyone would want that bed, but she doesn't break from her one sided conversation about how amazing college is going to be as she goes back for two more bags.

"Do you need any help with your stuff?" I think I interrupt her, but truthfully I wasn't paying that close attention.

"No honey, I'm almost set." She still makes three more trips out into the hallway to carry in some awkward sized bags. By the time she's done, her bed is piled high to the point of almost collapsing. She sighs and glances around the room. The more I look at her the more I get past all the "enhancements" to her body and realize that she is a strikingly beautiful girl. Maybe if she didn't have all the stuff done to herself, she could be a model.

I take a glance over the mountain on her bed and my eyes widen.

"Oh are you looking at Betsy?" Avery asks as she takes out a manikin's head that was slightly sticking out from one of her bags.

"Yeah, if you don't mind me asking.." I laugh a little and she cuts me off.

"I'm majoring in cosmetology," she laughs along with me.

"That makes it a little less creepy then," I smile.

"Half of these bags are make-up," she says straining to lift some of the boxes and then sliding them under her bed. "I'm not that vain I swear."

I feel bad for mentally judging her now that I'm getting to know her. She's a sweet girl. Her brother is in the army, her parents are both dentists, her favorite food is any kind of pasta and she has a boyfriend that is going to collage back in her home state of Maryland.

"We're not really serious though, it's more like an... advanced friendship." I don't understand how someone could have a relationship and not take it seriously. Isn't that suppose to be the point of a relationship?

"We didn't want to tie ourselves down for college you know? These are supposed to be our wild years." She smiles at the thought and I cringe. I hope she didn't notice my automatic reaction. I don't want her thinking that she got stuck with a boring roommate. I promised myself that I would try new things in college. Just becoming friends with Avery is enough of a step for me so far.