XLVII

47

     Steve had brought me breakfast and left with Alvin. I wanted to go home. Apparently I had slept Saturday way and today was now Sunday. Next Sunday was Christmas and the chances of Braxton and I spending it with our families was slim to none. It's like the universe was trying to keep us apart.
     There was a knock on the door and Steve walked in.

"You wanna go see lover boy?" Steve asked.

"Seriously? Steve don't mess with me." I said.

"I'm serious. I lied to Alvin and told him that Braxton had kidnapped you which is ironic because it's the other way around. Anyway I told him that you wanted to confront Braxton and he said sure. The basement is sound proof so no one will hear your conversation."

"Can we stop by the kitchen first?"

"Alright."

     We left out the room and went to the kitchen. I grabbed a lot of food then we went to the basement. Steve opened the door and Braxton looked up. He lit up when he saw me.

"Phoebe." he said.

     I walked over to him and put the food down before hugging him.

"I missed you." he said putting his face in the crook of my neck.

"Me too." I said tears building in my eyes.

     Steve walked over and took the handcuffs off of him. Braxton pulled me closer and wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm going to leave you two alone." Steve said leaving out.

     Braxton brought his lips to mine and kissed me fiercely. I missed him so much.

"Are you and the boys ok?" he asked breaking our kiss.

     I nodded and kissed him again.

"Phoebe you should eat." he said breaking our kiss again.

"Braxton I ate earlier. I just want to kiss you now." I said.

     He didn't say anything after that and kissed me. After awhile we reluctantly ended our make-out session.

"Let's eat." Braxton said.

     When we were done I sat in his lap.

"We're going to get out of here don't worry." he said.

"Braxton I don't want to leave you." I said.

"I know. I don't want you to leave me either but everything's going to be fine. I promise."

"How's your stomach?"

"Huh?"

"Steve told me that he punched you in it."

"O. It's better."

     We sat in a comfortable silence while he stroked my stomach. I felt something move in my stomach and I turned to look at Braxton.

"I think the babies are kicking." I said smiling.

"What? I didn't feel anything." he said.

     I took his hand and moved it to the other side of my stomach. They kicked again and I looked at him. He had a huge smile on his face.

"Hey boys. You're mommy and I love you even though you're not here yet." he said talking to my stomach.

     The door opened and Steve walked back in.

"Sorry guys but Alvin's back." he said.

     Braxton and I kissed one more time before Steve put the handcuffs back on him and we left out.

"The babies are kicking." I told Steve when we left out.

"Can I feel?" he asked.

"Go ahead."

     He put his hands on my stomach and smiled when one of the babies kicked.

"What's going on here?" somebody asked.

     Steve and I jumped apart. Alvin was standing there eyeing Steve.

"Um...the baby was kicking and she wanted me to feel." Steve said.

     Alvin pulled me towards him and put his hand on my stomach. The babies didn't kick and he looked at me.

"Why isn't my son or daughter kicking?" he asked.

     I was happy that they weren't kicking his hand. They probably knew that he was a bad guy and that he WASN'T their daddy.

"I don't know why MY baby didn't kick your hand." I said emphasizing my.

"Babe for the last time it's our baby." Alvin said. "How did the confrontation go?"

     I looked at Steve for help.

"She was too scared to talk so I had to do it." Steve said.

"Well maybe you shouldn't go see him again." Alvin said.

"You can't kept protecting her from this. Sooner or later she'll have to face him."

"Not if I don't want her to."