VIII

8

     We got in his car and headed towards the police station. I was extremely nervous. I never thought that I would have to go to the police station and report that I was a missing child. Braxton reached over and squeezed my hand. I looked over at him and smiled.
     He always made me feel better.

"Everything's going to be alright ." he said.

     Once we were at the station Braxton talked to the police while I just listened.

"Would you mind coming to the back with us Ms. Thorne?" one officer asked.

     I looked at Braxton.

"It won't take long." another police officer said.

"Okay." I said following them to the back.

     They opened the door to a room and I walked in. It looked like an interrogation room. We took a seat at the table.

"So tell us about what Nina Morris told you." the first officer said.

     So I repeated everything that she told me to them.

"Can you help me find my real family?" I asked.

"We'll do everything we can." the second officer said.

     They led me back to Braxton and we went home.

"Braxton what if I never find my family?" I asked.

"You will." he said.

     I really didn't know what I would do without him.

"Why don't you go take a nap?" he said.

     I nodded and walked upstairs to my room. When I woke up I noticed that it was dark outside. I can't believe I slept through the whole day, then again I am pregnant. I walked into the kitchen and saw Braxton cooking. I think he likes cooking because since I've been here he's barely ordered take out.

"What's for dinner?" I asked.

"Mashed potatoes with salisbury steak and peas. And for dessert any kind of ice cream if you feel like taking a drive for it." he said.

"Can I have more than one ice cream?"

"Sure."

     I really had to find a way to repay Braxton for everything he has done for me. I don't know anyone who would have done all this for me. We sat down to dinner and ate before going out for ice cream. I ended up getting four ice cream cones, three sundays, and I had half of Braxton's banana split. I'm going to end up breaking him.

"Braxton why don't you ever tell me no when I ask for something?" I asked him when we got in the car.

"Why would I tell a pregnant woman no when she asks for food?" he asked confused.

"Forget about me being pregnant. You always give me what I want no matter what it is. I feel like I'm breaking you." I said sadly.

"Phoebe you are doing no such thing."

"You just bought me seven ice creams and on top of that you let me stay with you and brought furniture for my baby. You didn't have to do any of that."

"You're right I didn't but I wanted to."

"Why?"

"Because you needed help."

     The rest of the ride home I was deep in thought. Braxton was too nice to me.

"We have school tomorrow right?" I asked.

"Yea." he said.

     I walked upstairs to his room and claimed his bed for myself. I had alot to think about. After I recovered from having the baby I had to focus on getting a job and a place to stay and find a daycare for the baby while I worked. Braxton came in his room and saw that I had taken over his bed.

"So now you're stealing my bed?" he asked sarcastically.

"Yup." I said. "You can still get in if you want."

     I scooted over so he could have room. He climbed into bed and pulled me towards his chest. I loved being this close to him. I needed to tell him how I felt but I was afraid that he'd reject me. After everything I've been through I think that if he rejected me I would break and never be able to be happy again.
     I looked up at him and saw that he was staring at me.

"Braxton I..."

     I closed my eyes and thought about what I wanted to say. In the next few seconds I felt a warmth spread onto my lips. When it was gone I opened my eyes and saw Braxton staring at me.