XXXV

35

Phoebe's POV

     Not 10 minutes after I hung up with Braxton Steve came over.

"So why are you here?" I asked.

"You're boyfriend told me to come keep an eye on you." he said stretching out on our couch.

"Why would he do that?"

"Beats me. Hey you have any food?"

"We're not a charity Steve go get your own food."

"You'd treat your baby daddy like that?"

"Yea."

"Ugh. I can't believe you Phoebe."

     I ignored him and walked to the kitchen to make myself something to eat. Why would Braxton send Steve over to look after me? I raised the fork up to my mouth then dropped everything. The plate fell smashing into pieces. Braxton saw the messages.

"Phoebe are you okay? What happened?" Steve asked running into the kitchen.

"Braxton saw the messages." I said.

"Phoebe stay right there I'm going to clean this up."

"Steve he saw. He saw the messages."

"What messages? Phoebe what are you talking about?"

"Alvin contacted me. He called me and texted me. I changed my number but he ended up getting the new one too."

"Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"I don't know. I thought that if I ignored him everything would stop. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up."

"How long has this been going on?"

"Almost a month."

"Phoebe how could you be so stupid and not tell anyone."

"I don't know. I'm sorry okay. My life was finally getting on track and this happened. I was trying to ignore it. He seems to know everything when I do something."

"He must have a rat somewhere. When I leave here I'm going to search for him. Whatever you do don't leave Braxton's sight. Do not leave this house without him ok?"

"Okay."

     After Steve cleaned up the glass he lead me to the living room. He wouldn't keep still he kept getting up off the couch and looking out the blinds. I didn't realize it was this serious.

"Steve what are you looking for?" I asked.

"I'm trying to see if I can spot Alvin's rat." he said.

     A car pulled up and he went check it out.

"It's just Braxton and Johnny Wayne." he said.

     I wasn't surprised that Steve knew who Johnny was he knows everybody. Braxton walked in followed by Johnny. We exchanged phones and he stared at me.

"Braxton I need to talk to you in the kitchen. You. Johnny Wayne stay in here and keep an eye on Phoebe." Steve said.

     Braxton followed him into the kitchen and Johnny sat on the couch next to me.

"What's that about?" Johnny asked referring to Steve's behavior.

"Braxton'll explain it to you later." I said.

     Steve took a while to explain everything to Braxton. I guess he wanted to be thorough. After he was done he left. Braxton explained everything to Johnny in the kitchen. Again I was left out of the loop.

"Why won't you tell me what he said?" I asked Braxton after Johnny had left.

"Because it's not important." he said.

"Yes it is."

"Phoebe the only thing that's important is your safety. Tomorrow you're coming to work with me. We're gonna lie and say that your Johnny's sister. We'd bring you to his parent's house but Alvin might follow you and do something to them and you."

"Okay."

     I've never felt more like a little kid than I did just now.

"I know you don't like it but we just want to protect you." Braxton said.

"I know." I said sadly.

"I don't want anything to happen to you Phoebe. I love you so much I can't put it into words."

"I love you too Braxton."

     I hope nothing happens. I didn't want anything to happen to Braxton. If I lost him I would lose everything. For the rest of the evening Braxton and I sat on the couch watching tv and eating take out. He didn't feel like cooking and I understood why.
     After a while we went upstairs and got ready for bed. I knew neither of us would really get much sleep.