My Mate's Choice 35

Calvin

I walked with Valerie in silence to the cottage where we used to live together. I knew I had to do things fast because I wouldn't want Beatrix to notice my disappearance.

Right after Beatrix left to go up, Valerie came back to talk to me. I knew she would have talked to me earlier if Beatrix wasn't with me but I guess she was scared or guilty or just uncomfortable to be standing in the same room with Beatrix. It wasn't her fault though. Sometimes I'd felt bad towards Matt but most of the time, I was just annoyed looking at his ugly arrogant face.

"Have you done any changes to the room?" I asked Valerie.

"No. We can do it together later," Valerie answered, "Plus both my things and yours are inside and in the study, there's another lot of our school books."

"Oh yeah. Alright, I'll try to get all of my things out by today or tonight," I said, "When does Matt wants to move in?"

"He said as soon as possible. He wanted privacy, you know like how I wanted. And we'll be bringing my brother in as well. After all, the three of us only left with each other," Valerie said and I could hear a hint of sadness in her voice. I knew what she meant - she didn't have a family anymore and now could only depend on Matt and her little brother.

I put my arm around her shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze as I tried to give her some encouragements.

When we reached our cottage - it wasn't going to be mine anymore, it was so dusty that it was choking me. Valerie quickly took out some air freshener while I just quickly get on to doing what I had to. I went to the bedroom first - the only room with so much memories with Valerie. It meant nothing to me now, at all.

I took out all of my clothes and stuffed it into a backpack. I stuffed as much as I could and even though I knew I was gonna have trouble zipping it afterwards, I still continue. I ended up with three backpacks and one Valerie's big purse of clothes. I brought the bags out and saw Valerie sorting out my school books for me.

"Hey, can you also dismantle the bed? Matt says he wouldn't want to use a bed where we use to share," Valerie informed awkwardly. I understood what she meant and I understood what Matt wanted.

"Alright, no problem," I said and quickly go back to the bedroom. I started off unscrewing the other side of the bed and I took about half an hour trying to unscrew all of the other parts. It was also so warm and I was getting sweaty that I removed the T-shirt I had on.

"Valerie," I called because I needed help with mattress.

"Yeah," Valerie answered as she popped her head in.

"Can you help me with the mattress?" I asked and she nodded. She came in and held on to the mattress while I continued dismantling the parts underneath the mattress. A minute later, Valerie complained that the mattress was heavy and suggested for us to move the mattress first so that the rest of bed could easily be removed right afterwards.

I agreed and helped her first because Valerie was still holding onto the mattress and I didn't want her to let go. I helped her from the back and together, we pushed the mattress up so that it was standing diagonally against the wall. Valerie instantly rested her forehead against the mattress and I subconsciously rested my forehead against her back.