My Mate's Choice 23

Beatrix

I helped Matt as we walked towards where I knew the exit. Matt still needed to climb up the ladder to the exit and I wasn't sure if he could do it but I really hope that he would try. He survived all these while and I hoped he remain strong.

"You need to climb this," I told him when we have reached the end of the ground.

"Okay," he said and then stepped up. But he was weak that he slipped off.

"Matt, we can do this some other time. I'll keep the keys for as long as I can," I told him.

"No, I can do this," Matt said, "Plus we don't know when that bloodsucker will realize that his keys are missing and start searching for it."

He was right. "Alright," I finally said. "I'll climb up first to open the door and then help you up," I told him and started climbing up the stairs. I unlocked the door easily and then went back down to help Matt up. Outside was dark so I believe it was night time.

When we reach the top, I squeezed his shoulder lightly and said, "I've let you out. Now you must promise me that you will bring the rest of us who is still stuck here, out as well. I'm not giving you any deadline but promise me to do your best."

"I'll do my best," Matt whispered.

"Good, now go!" I said, pushing him up and out of the 'prison'.

"Thank you Beatrix," Matt said before I closed the door.

"Thank me by bringing all of us out," I told him firmly and then closed the door, leaving it unlocked including the dangling keys.

I prayed Matt will be able to make it through.

Calvin

I sat on the dining table on my own. Everyone else had gone to bed seeing it was past twelve right now.

I was still thinking about the incident with the damn blood-sucker. I wonder how Beatrix’s scent could be on him. Sure enough he had caught Beatrix but did he torture Beatrix? Or did he even try to do something else to Beatrix?

A tap on my shoulder surprised me, causing me to jump off my seat.

"Chill Calvin. It's just me," Valerie said when I finally realized it was her. I admitted that it was a little awkward to call each other by names when all these while we both had our own pet names for each other.

"I'm sorry. I was just shock," I apologized and then sat back down.

"I'm sorry for startling you. I wanted some water and see you here," Valerie explained.

"It's okay," I said.