My Mate's Choice 26

Calvin

I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe myself!

Beatrix was right in front of my eyes and I could do nothing to save and grab her from the damn vampire. The pack members had discussed a smooth plan whereby they would fight with the rogues first and let the routes clear for me to get in and went to find Beatrix straight.

I did as told and planned except I had to manually go to all of the rooms that they had in their dungeon because I couldn't detect Beatrix's scent. Surprisingly, the doors that led to the rooms are all located at the ceiling with a connected ladder which made things even more difficult. And to my unluckiness, Beatrix was in the last room that I opened and I only managed to see her for a split second before I watched the vampire flew up and through their room's ceiling.

"Calvin, you need to eat my dear. You also need to clean up a bit of your wounds on your arm," my mom said for the umpteenth time today. I didn't manage to fight but as I got underground, some of the rogue's swords did slash my arm a few times.

I ignored my mom and remained in my same sitting position. I sat crossed leg in front of Beatrix's birthday's teddy bear - hoping it was Beatrix instead of the teddy bear.

"Calvin, we can ask some of the rogues that we captured if they know anything about the vampire's whereabouts," the Luna suggested next. She came in with the Alpha but I was glad that the alpha didn't say anything because I was in no mood to listen to his orders.

After some time, they left at their own will; knowing that I wouldn't be listening to them whatever it was.

I continued staring blankly at the teddy bear and it was interrupted when I heard footsteps coming towards me. I waited for what to come but there was nothing. I was curious and so, I turned to look and saw my sister.

Jean was sitting next to me and was looking down at the floor. Her hair was tied in two pony tails and her bangs almost covered her whole forehead now. She had a packet of biscuit in her hands. Jean remained quiet, as though she understood the kind of comfort I needed but I was starting to feel guilty. I haven't been hanging out with Jean even though I had moved back into the pack house.

Not completely putting Beatrix's case aside, I asked Jean softly, "What are you doing here, Jean?"

"I want to bring you some food but when I was bringing the plate up, I spilled some milk and Sean scolded me for being careless and said I cannot bring any food up. So I bring you a biscuit," she explained to me in a sulky voice and handed me the pack of biscuit.

"Thank you," I said, "What did you want to bring?"

"Cereal and milk. I heard mummy said that you didn't want to eat and I saw the food and it was rice with soup and vegetables. I know they don't taste good and that's why you do not want to eat. But I spilled the milk and Sean scolded me so I only managed to sneak biscuit up."

A smile crept into my face willingly. One thing I realized now was that I haven't been appreciating the people around me too well. And with the same reason, Beatrix wasn’t here with me; because I didn’t know how to appreciate her.