Chapter 8:

The next day:

We were staying in a hotel in New York City for two nights because today was the day of the memorial. And the next day I was going to take the boys sight seeing, while my mom relaxed. The memorial was at 10 but we had to be there by 9. I was dressed up really nice and so was my mom. I had written my speech late last night because I couldn’t sleep. Both Jai and Luke had asked to read it but I told them no. My mom understood why I didn’t want them to read it, it was too personal and I did want it to be a surprise. We dropped off Jai and Luke where the New York City Civilians were allowed to watch from. They were in the front and basically had the best seats that you could have. My mom sat with the rest of the crowd. She was with the families of those being remembered.

The ceremony was long because I was the last person to speak. The first lady was there but the President was not so it didn’t make me really that nervous. But the crowd of people made me scared because it was so big. I was standing about to go on stage waiting for some Chief Justice to stop talking. 

It was silent when I walked onto the stage. I looked over the glob of people sitting in the crowd spotting my mom who smiled at me and looking all the way towards the back. I saw Luke and Jai. My best friends smiling cheering me on, silently. Recording the entire thing. Chills ran down my back from the cool December air. I took a deep breathe and began:

People alway ask you when you are a kid who your favorite superhero is. I never really knew who it was until September 11th 2001.  

I have been told by my mother, my friends, and my family that my father was a brave man and a hero. I have had the opportunity to be able to live with this hero for 6 years. But in those 6 years I don’t really remember much.

When New York City was attacked on September 11th, 2001 I was only in first grade. I was 6 years old and too innocent or young to really understand what was going on. I have one faint memory of that day. I remember the teacher getting a phone call and rushing out of the class and a different teacher come in. I ignored it because my teacher was pregnant at the time and this happened a lot. I went back to my writing. We were writing out our full names. Something we were reviewing from the year before. I remember how proud my father was when i showed him my name the day before. But I was 6 and it was my importance as his daughter to make him proud. Within an hour of the teacher not coming back we had gone over math and even read a story. The principal had come into our classroom and was looking for me. Being in 1st grade all the other students made a big deal about it because they thought I was in trouble. I thought that I was in trouble too. Walking down to the office with her was the scariest thing ever. I felt a lot better when I saw my mom sitting down on a chair. She was there to take me home. I did notice that all the TV’s in the office were on and showing the same thing. Something was happening in New York City but I didn’t know what.

The next hours were a blur because I was with my mom. I was looking forward for my father to come home that night from work just like he always had. But he never came home. I asked my mom where he was, but she only told me that “daddy is busy at work.” Nothing more. I left it alone. The next day I didn’t have to go to school and I was happy because i spent the day with my mom. That night at dinner I asked my mom the same questioned as before but she always answered me the same. This went on for a week until I broke down crying asking her what happened to my dad. That night was the first night I saw my mom cry. I knew from that night I wasn’t going to see my father ever again.

September 11th and the week after was not a normal week for a 6 year old. I have been told by relatives and friends that 6 year olds don’t remember a lot, but i remember that week. Loosing a relative is always hard. But loosing a parent is even worse.