Chapter 3:

“So you want to go?” Gina asked again.

“YES!” Luke said.

“Here is the deal boys. You will behave. And if I hear any bad reports from Lucy you will be on a plane back here. Both of you. So if one screws up the other one suffers. You must listen to Lucy or Reagan at all times. No stupid tricks or anything. Don’t do anything dumb. And behave at the memorial and at the party.” Gina explained.

“What memorial?” Jai asked. My mom looked sort of upset. So I answered.

“It’s a 9/11 memorial. My dad was a brave man, so I have been told by my family. I don’t really remember him. But they are dedicating a part of the memorial to him.”

“Frank was a hero. He died saving lives. He had just saved a 12 year old girl when the building collapsed on him.” My mom spoke up. Gina comforted her. I never knew that.

“You never told me that.” I looked at her. She was almost crying.

“I never knew how to tell you.”

“I’m so sorry.” Jai said hugging me with Luke. They both tried to comfort me.

“Don’t be sad guys! We are leaving Thursday. Since Christmas Eve is tomorrow.” My mom said. She was never one to cry in public. She hated others seeing her weak. She was one of he bravest people I knew.

“You guys should come to our families house for Christmas.” Luke offered. 

“Luke, I don’t think it’s a good idea.” My mom said.

“No Lucy it’s a great idea!” Gina said.

“No Gina. I don’t want to be a burden. Your family is crazy enough.”

“Exactly so what’s two more?” Jai said.

“Jai is right Lucy. You guys spend Christmas alone every year. And if you are taking Jai and Luke for a week the least I can do is have you join us for Christmas Eve.”  Gina said. I just agreed because I was excited. 

“Are you sure it’s alright?”

“Absolutely.” 

“What do you want me to make?” 

“Nothing. You are a guest.”

“Gina. I’m bringing something.”

“Can you make cookies Reagan?” Luke asked.

“If you want. But people always make cookies.” I told him.

“So can you make me cookies?” Luke asked.

“Yes Lukey. I’ll make you cookies.” He got excited.

“We better get going boys. It’s getting late.” Gina said gathering up her sons.

“Thank you for having us Lucy.” Jai said. 

“You guys were at my house every day. It’s nothing new.”

“I know, but we always say thank you.” Luke smiled. I waved good bye before retreating to my bedroom. 

“We will stop by before we leave for church around 3?” I heard Lucy tell my mom. 

“I’ll probably see the boys before that anyway.” It was the last thing I heard before I drifted asleep.

I woke up to the can in my window making noise. It was 2 am. And I had fallen asleep with in my clothes. Thank god I took my contacts out. Or my eyes would hurt.