Chapter Forty-three: Boundless

I opened my mouth only to closed it again. I knew very well that no matter what I say now, it wouldn't be enough of an excuse for Edward. The very look on his face at the moment says it all.

So, I just lowered my eyes instead and exhaled in resignation.

"How did you know?" Then I asked. I was surprise to hear the calmness in my voice- a total opposite of my current emotions.

This time I heared Edward sighed. But still, I didn't look up though.

"I will tell you but please look at me first Maymay. I don't want to talk to the top of your head now."

Is it just me or he sounded amused somehow?

With another sigh, I beckoned.

My lips went slightly ajar when I saw his smiling face as a welcoming sight though.

That was odd. Isn't he supposed to be mad at me or something? I thought.

"If you're wondering if I am angry, no I am not. In fact, I am more of amazed right now because I never thought that you and I would ever meet again." He answered that unspoken question of mine. "Fate really plays out in most mysterious ways sometimes." He added fatalistically.

I swallowed an imaginary lump in my throat to keep my calm. I tried to rationalize his words but nothing can seem to be processing in my mind at the moment because I am seriously starting to internally freak out here to be honest.

"Hey May breathe. Relax ok? We can talk this out like how we normally do about things. You don't have to be so tense. Just calm down, please." Edward said then went to caress my back soothingly.

That gesture almost made me jerk away in surprise. But luckily, I managed to held it in unsuspiciously. Despite everything, I don't want to offend him like that, or even made him think that I am scared of him or something.

I don't want to look more guilty that I already am.

With that, I slowly released the air that I am not sure how long I'm already holding inside.

"That's better." Edward mused as he saw what I did.

"How did you figure it out?" I repeated my unanswered question earlier. "And since when?"

There was a brief silence for a while. To me, it looks like he is calculating his thoughts carefully to not spit anything unnecessary.

"Since the day you woke up here at the hospital." He replied.

My eyes widened. What?! That early?

He probably saw the shock on my face so he quickly followed, "I was initially puzzled by how you reacted when you saw me enter your room that day. The shock and anguish, I can't seem to comprehend those expressions that just suddenly pictured in your face. And then you started saying my name over and over. That's when I knew that there was something different about you."

"Because of that, my suspicion regarding your real identity started. And today, I confirmed that suspicion because Maymay, I mean your other version, didn't actually said yes to become my girlfriend at Enchanted Kingdom. We had 'our' first date there yes, but we officially became a couple at the condo's rooftop on May 6, 2018- your 21st birthday."

I took a sudden intake of breath.

So that's how!

That only means that he purposedly caught me with a bait. How cunning.

"I'm so sorry I had to do that." Edward suddenly muttered apologetically as if reading my current thoughs. "I just really want to confirm my thoughts but I couldn't make myself to ask you directly. Well because one, the idea just seems so rude not to mention, ridiculous as well; and two, you might just deny it in the end, like how you actually did earlier. So I figured that this way would be the best approach to get the truth. Again, I am sorry, if you feel cornered I mean."