Chapter Eighteen: Reconciliation

"Akala ko kung sino na! Ikaw lang pala Laura!" I exclaimed in fake annoyance. A bit of in contrast to the grin that is drawn on my face.

Seeing my reaction though, Laura just laughed even more while she started walking towards me. She stopped right beside me with that expression of mirth still, before instantly pulling me into a tight hug.

"Good morning May! Don't be mad na. I didn't mean to surprise you. I really didn't expect you'd be that startled. Sorry." She muttered sweetly after.

To be honest I really didn't feel annoyed even the slightest at what she did. On the contrary, I find it rather adorable actually. I perfectly knew that it was just one of those sibling 'bullying out of love' type of feat that everytime she does it to me I feel flattered instead, for it only means that she sees me as a real sibling already. Just as exactly as what she is to me now. Laura is basically my soul sister of anything. And not having the leisure of seeing her in person for the past couple of months, I guess, I can let her pass with that one. Well only if in case the pun is really intended in the first place which I highly doubt.

"Hmmnn sige na nga ok na. Pasalamat ka. Buti na lang di ako nahulog sa baba sa gulat." I told her with a chuckle when she released me from her arms.

Laura responded with a few more chuckles in return before asking me in a much serious tone this time. "What is it that you are thinking ba? You seemed so immersed with your thoughts plus that deep sigh that I witnessed. May problema ka ba?"

I admit I was a bit surprised hearing that question all of a sudden. On impulse I averted my eyes. Well I just have to. I am practically aware that I am the type of person who's facial expessions are very easy to read especially to an innate expert like Laura.

"Your Tagalog is very good na ah! You're a fast learner! I spat an irrelevant reply instead. Attempting to divert away the flow of conversation from that topic.

A fulite attempt though since she realized it right away. Well what can I expect? She's the brilliant Laura after all.

"You're not answering my question Maymay. May problema ka talaga noh? Is it about Edward? Did you two have a fight?" She immediately followed. I can almost visualized the forming frown on her forehead as she asked those questions.

"Uy hindi ah!" I looked back at her face quickly before answering albeit I can't help but sound so defensive.

Geez! She hit the issue straight on point! Grabe talaga 'to si Laura! Super observant! Wala akong ligtas!

"Ahm ano wala...ahm napanaginipan ko lang kagabi si Papa Joe kaya medyo nalungkot lang ako ba at yun yung nakita mo kanina." I threw an instant made up lie. I have no choice. I have to neutralize my initial reaction.

Sorry po Papa Joe nadamay ka pa po sa kasinungalingan ko.

"Oh! I'm sorry to hear that." Laura muttered softly in response then gave me a hug once again. A sympathetic one. "Don't be sad anymore. I'm sure wherever Papa Joe is right now, he is very happy and very very proud of you. Especially with all the things that you've achieved so far. Kaya smile ka na ok?" She added in encouragement.

"Oo naman. Alam ko naman yun. Thank you Laura." I simply replied with a smile.

"You're welcome sis. Anytime. Whenever you feel lonely again don't hesitate to phone me up ok? I'll be there in a heartbeat in any possible way I can. You don't have to wallow in anything alone. I am always here for you. Always remember that."

Again I just simply nodded with that lingering smile on face though in actuality heart is bloating at that statement deep inside. Laura is really so precious. All the Barbers are. They are truly one of the best, if not the best blessings that I have ever received in my entire life.