Chapter Sixteen: The Unforeseen Pair Up

I was about to accept his handshake but Direk Rory's powerful voice echoed inside the whole room all of a sudden.

"Mr. Lorenz Arrieta, bakit ngayon ka lang? Isang oras ka ng late."

Startled, both our attention immediately shifted to our front where the panel are currently sitting.

All the members of the critic panel have that similar casual expression on their faces. To me it seems like they are actually fine with the late comer coming late after all. Well, all of them but one, since Direk Rory is obviously not impressed. In almost two years of working together before, I can totally tell that just by the look on her face.

However right now I admit that I am a bit surprised because she still haven't fully unleashed her beast mode to him yet. While in fact she always does it right at the very moment when the guilty person first stepped into the scene. Because of all the things, being late is the one thing that 'the' Direk Rory B. Quintos truly hates the most in her staffs especially in her actors. She is always so vocal in saying how ultimately unprofessional that behaviour is. To be honest I've never seen her, as in ever, tolerated anyone who comitted such an act even if the involved actor/actress is already a superstar. So what more to a newbie like Lorenz Arrieta now?

He's dead. For sure.

I saw Lorenz straightened his body on that instant. Gone is his smile which is then replaced by a formal expression as he apologetically explain.

"I'm sorry Ma'am. Ipinatawag lang po ako ni Ma..ni Director Esmeralda sa office niya kanina. We talked about the specifics of my contract kaya po ako natagalan. I know that it's a lame excuse though but it's still the truth. Again I'm very sorry po."

Woah! A silent whistle echoed inside my mind at that.

Despite of his current predicament, this guy still managed to act confidently in front of everybody and in front of Direk freaking Rory! I can't even see even a slight contortion of shame in his face at all. Sure, in all fairness, he really does seem sincere with that apology but there's just really something different about him that I can't explain. It's like his aura is brimming with certain proudness but not in a bad way though. He is able to carry it like it's a natural part of him, like he is born with it. Something like an inherent authority.

Authority? Authority over THESE authority? Nope that's impossible. I am being ridiculous.

He's just a Star Magic new talent. Just like everyone else in this room apart from the panel.

I pushed away the silly thoughts and readied myself instead for I knew it was coming. Direk's beastmode onset. Knowing her, it wouldn't just be a single question and answer inquiry for sure.

He's so dead. As in.

"Fine. Since your reason is valid I'll let it pass this time. But just so you now, that's what I hate most of all-being late. So please be sure to never repeat this kind of incident. Sa susunod, no more excuses. Kesehodang kahit na sino pa ang nagpatawag sa'yo. Understand?" Direk Rory stated firmly.

"Yes Direk." He uttered in equal fervour.

Wide eyed and absolutely astonished, I looked back and forth from Lorenz to Direk Rory.

What the heck is happening? Did Direk just really let him pass like that? It's so not like her.

Who is this guy? Lorenz Arrieta huh?

Bewilderment and curiosity is starting to creep in my system now.

"Ok now let's start. Mr. Arrieta introduce yourself first. State your name, age, and your place of origin. Ikaw na lang since nagawa na ni Maymay kanina." Direk Rory's sudden command cut me off from my current reverie.