Chapter Six: Slips and Suspicions

I took a single step forward and then stopped. Another step forward and then stopped again. My mind is filled with hesitation and confusion. I want to go straight to her and ask her so many things but it seemed that my body is not in synced with my thoughts at the moment.

All the while the old woman just kept on looking at me with that mystical expression on her face. It's as if she's saying 'You want to see me? I am here.'

I tried to move my feet once again. This time I walk forward, towards her without taking any pauses. Slow steps, slow steps. I can hear Kisses' voice which seemed to be so distant, telling me something that I couldn't totally comprehend. I even felt her grabbed my arm, probably to stop me from going but I just brushed her hand off away. Seemingly under a trance, I continue to walk forward.

I saw the woman smiled again. This time I am sure that that smile is specifically for me. It's a sweet smile. Too sweet that it could be mocking. And then she took something from her apron's pocket. It was a single rose. A lilac colored one of course. Just like the one that she gave me. She held it a little up in front of her and made a gesture that looks like as if she's clinking a glass of champagne with me in a toast. And then just like that, she turned around and started to walk away towards the inner part of the garden, beyond my line of sight.

"Wait.." I whispered while gradually increasing my speed. "Wait...wait...wait..." I mumbled over and over as I run.

Why does it seem so far? It's only a 15 meter distance so why can't I reach her that fast?

When I finally stepped on the gazebo, I look around.  But the woman is already nowhere to be found and I am not sure as to where she went. There are no doors or pathwalks on the direction where she might possibly gone to a little while ago either. All I can see is a wall with thick dark green vines on it. I can't decide whether it looks pretty or creepy by the way. A borderline tie maybe? Seeing those a plausible conclusion came into my mind.

Maybe there's a secret door or passage on the wall behind those thick vines. So I moved a little closer to it. I was about to pull them away when suddenly I felt someone grabbed me on both of my arms from behind. I screamed in a mixture of terror and surprise.

"Relax Maymay it's just me! Calm down!" Edward said a little bit too loud.

With that I immediately turn around to face him. I let out a deep sigh of relief upon seeing his face.

"Akala ko kung sino na. Sorry ang lakas ng sigaw ko." I uttered apologetically.

"What happened? Why did you come here?" His eyes are intently looking at my face as he asked that I felt so self conscious all of a sudden.

I looked away replied not so articulately. "Ahm wala ahm I just want to ask something from the gardener that we saw here. Just about ahm some flowers because they are so pretty."

I can't honestly think straight because of that intense gaze that he's giving me. Then, I saw in my peripheral vision that he took a look around as well, probably to check the place's entirety. After, he stared back at me and mumbled softly.

"Yeah, pretty indeed."

My eyes flew to his face out of wonder as I hear those words. Not because of what he said but because of the way how he said it. It sounded so romantic to my ears or something.

And with that our eyes momentarily met at that instance.

"Maymay..." He uttered. So sofly once again.

At that moment I immediately looked away and move a step backwards. Suddenly the whole place seemed so little that I can't breathe. My heartbeat becomes fast. Oh well what's new? When Edward's around my heart always going into a superhyper mode as usual.