Chapter nineteen: Happy birthday

Chapter nineteen.

Happy birthday.

{not heavily edited}

Ryder drove us out of town, I don't know why but I trusted him

Ryder drove us out of town, I don't know why but I trusted him. Probably more than I should. We drove an hour out of town and we ended up on a cliff with a tree on it. You could see everything from up here, Ryder's sitting on the hood of his car smoking while I'm sitting at the tree just looking out. I hear the gravel crushing under his feet as he comes to sit next to me. He'd been baring the cold since I have his jacket, I felt bad but he wouldn't take the jacket back.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" He asks, sitting alongside me on the ground. I nod in response, it really is beautiful.

"Why'd we come here?" He hadn't told me why we came and I'm curious because he never seemed to care about my feelings before this. Besides that one time he told me I could talk to him when I wasn't okay. Or whatever.

"Because, sunshine, this is the place I come when I feel upset or wanna be alone." He tells me and I chuckle.

"You have emotions?" I joke and he nudges me gently with his elbow as he chuckles.

"Ever wonder why I call you sunshine?" He asks. I nod. Hes not all that bad really now that I'm talking to him one on one. "I love the sunshine. It brings light to darkness, something to keep you going." He explains and I glance at him with an eyebrow raised.

"Are you saying I'm the light?" I ask and he nods with a small smile. I've never seen him smile, only smirk.

"You somehow managed to lighten up two dark souls in a short amount of time." He remarks. Two dark souls. Him and Lark. I look at him, really look. His blue eyes are shining even with the dim sunlight, he has some stubble and a jawline that could cut. His hair is slightly messy because of the wind and his lips are still twisted in a smile.

"If this is where you come to be alone then why did you show me this place?" I ask, I know I'm asking a lot of questions right now but I want to know why Ryder the sociopath took any type of remote interest in me.

"The sunshine can't be dark, love. I noticed your light dimming. We can't have that now can we?" He replies, his eyes finding mine. He's being sweet, too sweet. It's odd.

"Thank you." I tell him. He raises an eyebrow with a quirk in his lips.

"For what?" He chuckles and I shrug slightly.

"For doing this." I reply and his eyes search mine, drifting down to my lips then back to my eyes. A part of me wants to kiss him but that's not very smart. I turn away and look at the view.

"Would you mind if I came here more often?" I ask and I see him shake his head front the corner of my eye.

"Not at all. Hell, I'll even drive you up here as long as you're happy." He says. That brings a new feeling to my stomach and I blush, I feel the heat rising to my cheeks and a giddy smile come to my lips. What's happening to me?