Chapter eight: lets play a game

Chapter eight

Let's play a game.

{Not heavily edited}

I look around the room and take a deep breath before answering. I don't know if I can handle being on the phone with my mom but, there's no going back now.

"Hey mom...." I say flatly, I don't sound enthusiastic. Jordan seems to be shaking, Lark and Pogue aren't even looking at me. Liam is staring worriedly. The way I answered the phone has got to be a pretty bad telltale, she's gonna know I know.

"What's wrong? You sound weird." My mom asks skeptically. I put her on speaker so that Jordan can hear what's going on.

"Uh, nothing m-mom," I murmur. Jordan and everyone start mouthing 'hang up' and start to make hand motions like saying "cut it out".

"Mom can I ask you a question?" I ask, starting to sound tougher. Lark and Jordan know what I'm about to say and they start saying "no".

"Sure, anything." My mother replies. I take a deep breath. The question I'm planning on asking next is definitely going to mess up my family--big time.

"Why didn't you tell me that you and dad were getting divorced?" I ask, my mom is silent. She's too silent. I probably asked that question a little too bluntly but if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have asked it.

"Mo-" the phone line goes dead "-om," I finish as I put my phone away. I roll my eyes. Jordan is glaring heavily at me.

"What the hell did you do?!" Jordan exclaims. Lark face palms, glancing at Jordan. I shake my head. What the hell is going on with my life? I was a normal teenager, a girl who had friends and good grades.

Now? I'm drowning in my own life.

"Jordan, shut the fuck up! You're lucky I didn't tell her about your extra curricular activities!" I yell and he shuts up, everyone does.

Lucy walks into the room and she seems confused at all our expressions.

"Babe, c'mon I'll take you to watch a movie or something." Liam says, I glance at him since the 'babe' part kind of took me by surprise. Lark is glaring at Liam.

"Great idea, I was thinking the same thing. We'll all go." Lark says, Liam glances at Lark more of glares.

"Actually, I was thinking that I'd go to the movies with my best friend." I correct since I've decided no more boys for today.

"Cool, Let's go guys." Lark says, I send him a look. Does he really consider himself my best friend? Or was that a joke?

"You're not Lucy." I counter, Lark shrugs.

"Fine," Lark sighs "can I talk to you outside before you go?" Lark asks and I nod with a shrug. Lucy winks at me as we walk outside.

"I'll be by your dorm after the movie, Lucy is going to be going out with Pogue. We need to talk." Lark says, I tilt my head to the side. What does he need to talk to me about? I can't handle another dent in my life especially with this whole debacle with my parents.

~*~

I walk into the dorm, Lucy really had gone out with Pogue. That means Lark is gonna be here any second. It's eleven at night, I'm not sure when he'll be here so I decided to do my homework at the table since I'd forgotten all about it with my life being my only issue.

After about twenty minutes my door opens and Lark slips into the dorm. I don't look up at him. I hope it's not anything totally serious or I'll probably actually cry. I've only known Lark for a little over a week and I know he's too important to me to lose.

Lark strolls over to the table, sitting next to me. I take a glance at him, noticing the smirk on his face I'm guessing he's going to say something completely Inappropriate and or stupid.

"What?" I deadpan, turning back to my book. I write a few things down, awaiting a response from Lark. I don't want to lose Lark, so I'm hoping that whatever he needs to talk to me about isn't too serious. I sneak another glance at him, he's chewing on his bottom lip.

"Let's play a game," Lark suggests, picking up one of my pencils and twirling it around his fingers. I decide to keep my eyes trained on my book since whatever's to come next is most likely going to make me blush.

"What kind of game?" I ask curiously, Lark continues to smirk at me. I look away from him quickly and pretend to be reading a page from my text book.

"I want to pretend to date for three months," Lark says cheerfully. My eyes widen, what the fuck? He wants to date me? But pretend? I try not to react, I want to hold my ground and look badass.

"We'll do everything as a couple, everyone will believe we'll dating. While we pretend date I wanna be your first everything," Lark explains, my heart is racing. I'm kind of excited but super nervous.

"Here's the game; if you fall for me first you lose, if I fall for you first then I lose," Lark explains. My heart flutters and I keep my eyes trained on my book, refusing to make eye contact with the bad boy seated beside me. I can feel his heavy stare, it makes me feel like I'm about to be crushed under the intense stare. I swallow hard, the sound seeming to be really loud in the quiet state of the room. Larks hand moves to my thigh, sending shivers down my spine with the simple gesture.

"You don't have to if you don't want to, baby," Lark coos, his voice is soothing but all I hear is my heart pounding and I'm pretty sure he can hear it. I could say no, but that's not really living and I wanted adventure. Here it is, in a steamy platter of sexy Lark.

I take a deep breath through my nose to settle my nerves before I speak so I don't sound super nervous. I know he probably knows damn well how scared I am right now.

"If I win...What do I get?" I ask, not taking my eyes off my text book knowing if I did I'd blush or crack under the pressure of Lark's narrowed eyes in amusement.

"You get to be with me, I'll drop everything just for you," Lark offers, shutting my text book so I'm forced to look at him. His green eyes are watching me closely, examining my face for any signs of weakness. I shrug my shoulders, pretending not to be too interested in the the topic

"And if I lose?" I ask curiously, I'd really like to know since this could ideally ruin my entire existence.

"If you lose, which is most likely to happen, you get nothing at all," Lark responds, he looks up like he's reconsidering.

"I've decided when you lose I'll ruin your social life." Lark responds, his eyes meeting mine. My heart skips a beat, do I really want to risk it all? This could be the end of me, Honestly, I shouldn't have gotten myself involved with him.

"Deal." I say without thinking, I almost wince when a devilish grin falls onto his face. I shake my head. What about Liam? I really liked him and now I just gave up all that to play a stupid game and bring more complications to my life.

Great.