Chapter nine: Heartbreaker

Chapter nine.

Heartbreaker.

I sit in Math class, Lucy alongside me. I take a quick glance at her before looking back at my homework. After deciding to play Lark's game he'd stayed over and we talked for like two hours until Lucy came home and found us on the couch half asleep. She didn't question me about it and I wonder what she's thinking.

"Lucy?" I whisper to her, she looks at me expectantly. Is she mad at me? I mean, we're best friends and she found me with her brother even if nothing happened.

"What's up?" She asks and I run a hand through my hair. How am I supposed to ask her if she's mad about me and Lark?

"Uh, what you saw last night we weren't doing anything like..." the look on Lucy's face clearly shows she thinks this is hilarious. She smiles slightly before chuckling.

"I know, Kat. Don't worry about it but, I have to ask, are you guys a thing?" Lucy asks and I feel my face turn as red as a tomato. I don't think we're a thing exactly since he didn't tell anyone about our "relationship" yet.

"I don't think so?" I respond as I scribble onto my notebook "I don't know how I feel about him." I finish and her eyes widen.

"What about Liam?" She asks and I shrug.

"He didn't say we're dating. But, I should probably make sure he knows we're not anything in case something goes on with Lark." I remark and she nods in agreement.

"Just...be careful with Lark. He's not a regular guy." Lucy explains and I nod. Trust me, I know he's not a regular guy.

~*~

It was time for lunch and I knew that I'd have to sit with Lark and Liam. I wasn't prepared for it. I have a feeling Lark is going to say something completely stupid. I walk to the table I usually sit at and soon enough Pogue and Lucy join me. Jordan sits alongside me too, I hope that Lark won't sit next to me.

"God, Liam and Lark are being so stupid. They keep arguing." Pogue says as he bites into his sandwich. My eyes widen as I look at up at him. I really hope they're not already arguing about me.

"W-what are they arguing about?" I ask worriedly and Pogue looks up.

"Look, they're right there. Just wait." Pogue replies. Lark and Liam join us at the table very quickly. Lark sits along side me and Liam starts pushing him. They get into a mini argument on who should sit next to me. I look at them with wide eyes.

"She's my girlfriend!" Liam argues and Lark scoffs. Oh no.

"No! She's mine!" Lark snaps and I facepalm.

"Stop it! I'm no ones girlfriend. Alright?" I interrupt and they both face me with an eyebrow raised.

"Uh, no ones except mine." Lark interjects defensively, Lucy is giggling and Pogue has his hand over his mouth to cover up his laughter.

"Oh my god. Okay. Liam we went on a date, it was nice. Lark you...well....you know." I mutter, I'm at a loss for words. Liam looks at me in astonishment.

"What did Lark do?" Liam asks and I wince. Shit.

"Nothing." I reply and Lark looks at me with a smug look on his face. He winks at me and I roll my eyes at him.

"Point is. I am single, okay? Nobody asked me out and so yes I'm single." I announce, Lark looks smirks wickedly.

"Okay. Katerina Azalea, the lovely princess, would you like to be my girlfriend?" Lark asks, I blush deeply and look down quickly to hide the redness in my cheeks.

"Lark, Stop it." Lucy says and I look up once I think that the blush is gone. Lark looks at me expectantly.

"Were you being serious?" I ask in shock, Liam sends Lark a stone cold glare. Pogue and Lucy are watching this all unfold as if it's a movie. Jordan on the other hand seems to be getting annoyed.  Lark looks at me with a look that says "seriously?" I scoff in response.

"Lark, c'mon. We both know that you can't be in a relationship. You have commitment issues, buddy." Liam interjects, trying to prove that he's better. I guess he's right but he doesn't know about the game so I guess he'll be pretty surprised when I start "dating" Lark.

"Shut up, Liam. I didn't ask for your damned opinion." Lark snaps at him, Do I even want to step in? I mean, things could get kind of interesting. I look at Liam expecting him to say something but he says nothing. I'm getting tired of listening to them fight over something so pointless.

"Guys, can we argue about this another time?" I groan, getting up and walking away from them. They're completely immature. I walk to my next class, I'm not paying attention which is why I crash into Kai. My eyes widen.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" I exclaim, Kai chuckles. I haven't actually seen him around a lot since I first met him. We don't have any classes together and this school is big.

"No worries, Kat." Kai laughs. I feel a presence behind me and I turn slightly only to see a pissed off Lark. I roll my eyes, Kai furrows his eyebrows.

"Why are you talking to her? Wait. Better question; why are you breathing in her direction?" Lark asks in an irritated tone. My eyes widen and I turn around completely to face the little bastard. Why is he getting so overprotective all of a sudden? It's like he's trying to prove he's the alpha male.

"Lark. Shut up. Go grace someone else with your presence." I snap, his eyes narrow at me. He scowls and rolls his eyes.

"Quiet, shortcake, the men are talking." Lark says. I groan and Kai rolls his eyes.

"Dude, don't be a dick." Kai replies with a glare. I know Lark is probably gonna hit Kai for talking to him like that which is why I push him away and walk with Kai to my next class. Who the hell does he think he is? Kai wasn't even doing anything wrong.

"What's the deal with you and Lark Everlake?" Kai asks curiously. I sigh. I honestly don't even know myself to be honest. Obviously we're not just friends, we kissed like three times.

"Don't ask, honestly. I don't know. He's...weird." I reply awkwardly as we step in front of the class. I have English next with Melanie, I actually hate her. Especially from the mall smoothie incident. She still teases me but less because she knows me and Lark are friends. Nobody wants to fuck with me because of the people I hang out with.

"Well, ya' might wanna figure it out because I know someone who wants to ask you out." Kai explains before starting to walk away. My eyes widen, who the fuck?

"Who is it!" I call behind him and I hear his laugh as he ignores me. Little bitch. I roll my eyes and walk into English.

~*~

I look between the boys. They're staring at me expectantly. But, I know who I literally have to choose because of the game I'm playing with Satan. I want to date Liam but Lark will ruin me if I pick Liam over him.

"Are you mentally challenged? Hurry up!" Lark hurries me, I send him a glare. Jesus Christ he's so impatient. Liam sits there without a complaint which is another reason why I like him better than Lucifer over there.

"I-uh..." How do I just break Liam's heart without actually hurting him? Lark rolls his eyes before groaning.

"Oh my god. Sorry, Liam, she's choosing me over you. Now, you can either gracefully make your exit or I shall escort you out." Lark says impatiently. Liam's eyes widen. Oh no. Why did Lark feel it was necessary to say it like that? Who am I kidding? He's Lark Everlake, he doesn't care if he hurt his best friends' feelings.

"Kat, please tell me he's joking." Liam chuckles awkwardly, I wish he was.

"I'm sorry." I mutter. Liam's face changes and he sighs, leaving the apartment. I chew on my bottom lip. That was harsh. Lark looks smug and I seriously want to punch his stupid face again.

"Okay, now that that's settled... we have to take a picture for insta." Lark says, clasping his hands together with a wicked smirk. I frown. I hate him.

"Jesus."