Chapter fourteen: Caring

Chapter fourteen.

Caring.

"Ryder?"

"Ryder?"

"Hey baby brother, not happy to see me?"

That's when the name clicks; Ryder. The brother who's supposed to be in prison. I look back and see this look on Larks face that I've never seen before. It's...fear. He's not scared of anyone but for some reason this guy scares him. His own brother scares him. The devilish grin on Ryder's face and the scared look on Lark's is enough confirmation for me to know that he's bad news and shouldn't be near Lark or Lucy.

"Get the hell out of here." I say in a low, threatening tone. This time I'm not trying to copy Lark, this is genuinely the tone of a person trying to protect someone they love. There's that word "love".

The guy laughs and I clench my fist. I don't care who he is, he's better leave.

"If I don't?" He asks. I open my mouth to threaten him but it's like Lark snapped out of whatever trance he was just in and got in front of me.

"If you don't I'll beat the shit out of you. I'm not scared of you anymore, Ryder. You shouldn't even be here." Lark growls, Ryder smirks at him but nonetheless walks away. Lark shuts the door and locks it and out of instinct I come forward to him.

"Lark...? Are you alright?" I ask him in a soft voice. He takes a deep breath and his face goes stoic before he nods, I roll my eyes. I know how bad that had to have affected him. I know him better than he thinks. I pull him to me in a hug, he hugs me back quickly. Lark let's out a long sigh that turns into this small whimper. Is he gonna cry?

"Thank you, Katerina, for caring." He whispers, I kiss his cheek and pull away from him. His eyes look pained and I know he could use some comforting right now.

"I'll always care about you." I whisper that back unintentionally, that's when I notice what I'd said. I notice because of the blush on Larks face. He never blushes, ever. I've never seen him blush once.

"C-could you maybe..." he's about to say something but shakes it off "No, That's too weird and girly." He says and I look at him expectantly, he's going to tell me. He rolls his eyes.

"Just say it."

"Could you....hold me?" He mumbles but I have good enough hearing that He sounds clear. I've never seen this side of him, the soft side. But if there's one thing I know; Lark Everlake isn't scared of anyone or anything so if his own brother scares him there's got to be something horrible that happened between them. I nod and we go to my room, we sit on the bed and I just hold him. He has his face buried in the crook of neck. His breathing is heavy, I feel warm water on my neck and I know he's crying. My heart literally aches knowing that he's hurting, what the hell happened that was so horrible.

"Lark? Are you okay?" I whisper, he whimpers but nods either way. When he pulls away his eyes are red and his cheeks are tear stained. I frown and I feel tears coming to my own eyes. What is happening to me? I never cry, let alone cry because my "boyfriend" is crying.