Chapter 32; Dates and All

Chapter thirty-two.

Dates and all.

Kats p.o.v

I sit on my bed with my knees pulled up to my chest acting as an armour protecting my heart which could do without any more heartbreak. My mom might be fine but that's today, tomorrow or in a few hours even seconds she could die. I don't know what I would do if that happened, if we lost her. Everyone had gone home and I'd had to force Lark to leave since he said he didn't feel good about leaving me alone.

I glance at my phone that's sitting on the nightstand. I yearn to grab it and call him. To call Lark and tell him to come over but if I can't get through one night alone with my mom in the hospital then what am I going to do if she actually dies? No. I have to get through this night alone.

"Don't call him. He's tired and you're fine..." I whisper to myself. I close my eyes for a moment and when I do that a single tear slides down my cheek.

"You're fine." I repeat, hoping if I say it out loud it'll be true. My hopes aren't true when more tears start to slip. I take a ragged breath and shut my eyes to tightly that I see colours and swirls behind my eyelids.

My phone starts to vibrate and when I look over, the light hurts my eyes but I can clearly see Larks name with a red heart beside it. I pick the phone up and let it ring for a few seconds before reluctantly answering.

"Stop crying." Is the first thing he says. I sigh.

"How do you always know?" I ask curiously, taking a look around the room to assure myself that he didn't just climb through my window and is outside my bedroom door.

"I have no idea, I just got a feeling-ow!" He exclaims, his sentence cutting short when I hear something rustling then a crack. My eyes widen.

"What are you doing?!" I exclaim, I get off my bed and look out of the window only to see him hanging onto the tree that's outside of my room.

"I promise I wasn't watching you sleep. I just started climbing up like two minutes ago." Lark says abruptly when he realizes he weird look I'm giving him through the window. He has his shoulder holding the phone to his ear as he uses two hands to pull himself back up onto a branch.

"Don't just stand there. Open up the window." He instructs, I roll my eyes and open the window. He climbs to the edge of the branch closest to my window before reaching forward and jumping. He lands half on and half off the ledge of my window. I grab him by his shirt and throw all my weight backwards to pull him into my room. We fall into the floor with a loud crash.

We start to laugh as we stand up.

"You're an idiot." I remark as he starts to take his shoes off. I sit on my bed and wait for him to finish taking his timerblands off. He takes off his sweatshirt and sits next to me.